Discuss Multifunctional Testers - Which one have you got and how long has it lasted? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Just wondering which multifunctional testers you guys have, and how long have they lasted?

Hoping this becomes a handy thread for you all. There seems to be a massive price difference between them all. But then I guess some do things others don't? Not sure. :)

Let us know which multifunctional testers you have, which ones you wish you had, and how long the one you have has lasted so far. :D
I have my late brother's ROBIN kts 1620 MFT he had from new used it while working for London transport so it has sentimentle value to me and I would love to put it to good use

My Dilog DL9118 died in the middle of an EICR on Friday.
Shows a continuity reading of 0.24 on low ohms even with test leads disconected.
Lasted around 2years :(

Had to pop to CEF ended up getting the Megger 1941+ with the new EV adapter. Didn't really want to pay that much. Fingers crossed it lasts.

My Dilog DL9118 died in the middle of an EICR on Friday.
Shows a continuity reading of 0.24 on low ohms even with test leads disconected.
Lasted around 2years :(
Bummer.

I hope mine lasts longer, though to be fair it hardly gets much use compared to a professional electrician. If/when it goes I was thinking of the Megger, not really for EV adaptor or anything like that but to have the earth rod testing via two spikes.

I have my old faithful Megger 1553, but it doesn't do Type A or B RCD tests.
I'm picking up my Megger 1741+ tomorrow.
I thought about getting the EV adaptor as it would be £120 cheaper to buy it at the same time, but decided to wait until I actually need it.
The reason I think I will need the EV adaptor eventually is that I do a lot of EICRs, and it's just a matter of time before I come across an EV charge point that will need testing as part of the EICR.
It could be argued I suppose that for an EICR you only test up to the point of connection to the fixed wiring, but in view of the potential danger of a malfunctioning or incorrectly installed EV charger, I personally would prefer to be able to give it a thorough test.
Also, an EV charger would not be picked up by a normal 'PAT test', and I doubt any 'PAT' person would have the equipment or knowledge to test one.
Damn I knew should have bought the damn thing! ?

My DL9118 will do type A RCD but not type B, though so far I have not encountered one in actual use which makes it academic to date. So that would be a 2nd reason for getting the Megger.

As you say, being able to test EV point is likely to be a growing market as part of other EICR/PAT work.

@AJshep

AJshep

a) Do reckon you treated it carefully ,or had it seen a fair bit of rough n tumble.
{ B) Too tired to be working + Dropped it !
.. have we all been there - just got to finish before home ? }
I looked after it, test leads always coiled up nice after each use too..
The only thing I can thing of is prior to this I got my trainee to carry out a RCD test at a property that had loads of surge protected extensions leads. He left them plugged in along with other stuff when doing the auto RCD test.. Only thing I can think of.

I can't see any normal testing causing that sort of a fault as MFT are designed to trip-test stuff that could potentially have the odd fridge compressor motor still on it, etc.

It sounds more like some whisker of metal internally is shorting something out so probably a one-off.

Cheers that is an interesting angle on a possible -failure mode !
:) I know sounds silly, and its clutching at straws but everything was in the place was on a spd extension leads.
I didn't pay too much attention at the time but he did mentioned that the mcb for the rfc tripped once when he was reset the RCD while carrying out the auto test.
We unplugged everything carried out the test again and it was fine.
My thought was maybe one of these spds dumped to earth when my mate was resetting the RCD and my poor dilog took the brunt.

Well if you have a new MFT and no intention of paying for the old one to be repaired there is nothing stopping you opening the old one and blowing/brusing it out in case it is a tiny bit of metallic contamination. Obviously without out it connected and batteries removed!

My trusty Megger 1552 died last Saturday, keeps on blowing the fuses and tripping RCDs on the no trip setting. I was due a new tester after nearly ten years of arduous service, opted for Metrel in the end:

Multifunctional Testers - Which one have you got and how long has it lasted? 123342352_10159095415228648_9030935811452722153_n - EletriciansForums.net

My trusty Megger 1552 died last Saturday, keeps on blowing the fuses and tripping RCDs on the no trip setting. I was due a new tester after nearly ten years of arduous service, opted for Metrel in the end:

View attachment 61782
as there is no button for RIP Megger, will just have to say long live Metrel

as there is no button for RIP Megger, will just have to say long live Metrel
any chance i can have your old 1552 for an experiment i'm working on? even for spares?

any chance i can have your old 1552 for an experiment i'm working on? even for spares?
If you want. Do you just want the unit or all the gubbins with it as well such as leads etc?

You can also have the calibration cert that's less than two months old... ??

Reply to Multifunctional Testers - Which one have you got and how long has it lasted? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock