Discuss New kitchen, live earth fault!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

They probably did not mention the neutral to earth fault as the schdule does not have a box for N/E insulation test results.
Wonder why the shower is on a 5 sec dis ?
Type (Type )MCB s theses must be new!

On a serious note putting the up sockets on the non RCD side of the board is unaccepable and fobbing you off saying badly wired plug ,they new the fault was there when or if they tested (might of been RCD not holding test when energised) as all plugs etc should of been removed for testing!

Cash in hand or whatever method of payment the elctrician has changed the CU and has to do this as per the current regulations!

A few tests prior to the CU being changed would of identified any IR problems and I wonder if the house has a borrowed neutral what with both lighting ccts on the same RCD.

A picture of the inside of the consumer unit would be good!

I do hope this issue is resolved sooner rather than later let us know!

@mhar - When filling out test sheets, it asks for the max permitted value as stated by the BS7671 not the adjusted value for temp' compensation that the onsite guide gives you.

@mhar - When filling out test sheets, it asks for the max permitted value as stated by the BS7671 not the adjusted value for temp' compensation that the onsite guide gives you.
Hi DW and MHAR - These days I put a clarifying comment in case Inspector Clouseau wants to look. Hopefully readers are aware of the need for the 2 values. ;)
Cheeky Comment : As the OSG values seem calculated by applying BYB Appendix 14 to Table 41.3, l guess you could say it was the max value from BYB ?

The fact that the test results bear almost no relation to what is installed and written on the consumer unit is very suspicious.

The fact there is a neutral-earth fault on the upstairs sockets may mean that any leakage could be passing through the earth bar of the consumer unit and then passing along the bonding cable and onto the gas pipe. We don't know if the consumer unit is properly earthed do we?

I hope this gets sorted :)

Last edited:

Reply to New kitchen, live earth fault!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net