Discuss New kitchen, live earth fault!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

So the upstairs sockets aren't protected by a RCD - why not? The installation doesn't comply with the regs....

Can you post a picture of the fuseboard?
Hi again, kitchen sockets should read kitchen and downstairs sockets, house sockets should read upstairs sockets!!

IMG_0369.JPG

Blanks look like he found them in a skip. The "house sockets" circuit requires rcd protection. Wouldn't mind seeing inside it.

Im betting there was a earth leakage fault with the upstairs sockets existing, there is absolutely no reason to segregate them away from any rcd protection otherwise... no self respecting qualified competent electrician would do what this 'electrician' has done.

H
Im betting there was a earth leakage fault with the upstairs sockets existing, there is absolutely no reason to segregate them away from any rcd protection otherwise... no self respecting qualified competent electrician would do what this 'electrician' has done.
They did say there was a neutral fault on the upstairs sockets, could this be the reason. Could that simply be a badly wired plug?

My brother had a similar thing on his kitchen a few years ago, earthing conductor was loose at pme terminal, must have been like it years and someone must have inadvertently moved it.

That image hardly inspires confidence, apart from the fact that the "house" sockets do not have RCD protection as previoulsy mentioned. Ii doesn't help us with your original question, but it gives us an idea of how your 'electician' spells quality!

PS I bet he drilled through the upstairs socket circuit hence its not on a rcd ;)

also to note, they haven't balanced the lighting across the rcd's so next time a lamp pops the whole house lighting is possibly effected.
All the cables from the main board, go directly up and into the ceiling cavity, so there will no wiring from the upstairs sockets passing through the kitchen.

Im sorry but a fault is a fault, if it has a neutral fault it should not be re-energised until it has been found and rectified, it may be signs of a more dangerous situation, this is not a professional approach to slap it back on and tell you, he should have hi-lighted the issue and expressed it requires correction before it can be energised, whether this was a permanent repair or a temp' to get the sockets back on while a quote was done for the full repair is 2 possible options but to energise a faulty circuit is not IMHO a responsible action from a qualified person.

The answer could be simply that there is a N-E fault on the upstairs circuit and this is causing the RCD to trip.

You need a spark with an earth clamp meter, a MFT and the competence to use them both....

Reply to New kitchen, live earth fault!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net