Currently reading:
New sub board for shed swa advice.

Discuss New sub board for shed swa advice. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys new to the forum after bit of advice. My family are installing a new shed in the garden and require a lot of power ie few sockets, lights. I am planning of running a swa fed from 32a mcb from the main board to a sub board.
Have a question-
Shall I install the new 32a mcb in the main board on the RCD side or main switch side?
Thanks

I wouldn't have a clue who it was aimed at, but I can assure you I am not bigbob1, because I'm not following all that he has posted, and I believe whilst it may need discussion that this thread is not the place to be discussing exporting PME, because that really is off topic.

So, sorry for mixing that up, but #e5 has been in my signature on here for many, many months now.
I have nothing against #e5
My quote was in response to bigbob spouting nonsense about exporting the installation earth and hashtaging e5 and which I don’t think is in the spirit of their codes.
I’ve never noticed anyone on here use it before to be honest, if you check I’ve not had any quaral with you on this thread nor replied to any of your comments till now.

It wasn't just hitting the live, it was through the live and cpc.
However, the install was not correctly tested, and the cpc was vaporised when the installation was energized, i.e. the dead testing which should have been done, and wasn't would have found the fault.
Ergo the negligence of the QS signing off the EIC, and the QS allowing inadequately skilled persons to undertake the work under their supervision, thus inadequate supervision of their subordinates also, but I'm not sure of the details of the charge.
I can't recall reading in the trade press or the NICEIC letter regarding it was through the CPC as well and no dead testing only recall it read about screw through live. If what you say is correct highlights reality that bosses think won't happen.

My quote was in response to bigbob spouting nonsense about exporting the installation earth and hashtaging e5 and which I don’t think is in the spirit of their codes.
I’ve never noticed anyone on here use it before to be honest, if you check I’ve not had any quaral with you on this thread nor replied to any of your comments till now.
No worries, sorry Ian, I think that there is merit in discussing exporting earths, just not in this thread.
I think he has some valid points, but may not have made them well.
#e5 has been in my signature on here for several months now, perhaps even a year, or more.

I can't recall reading in the trade press or the NICEIC letter regarding it was through the CPC as well and no dead testing only recall it read about screw through live. If what you say is correct highlights reality that bosses think won't happen.
If you read the Coroners report and the expert witness investigations, the cpc was vaporised by the fault, I'm not saying that there was no dead testing, but it would seem that the cpc had been vaporised before the insulation resistance testing had been done, i.e. the installation was energised before the correct sequence of dead testing had been completed.
Something should have tripped when that happened, so it should have been investigated.
That seems to have been missed.
Of course, once the cpc was gone there was no path to earth to detect the fault, where as if the testing had been done correctly, this would have been located.

Clearly this thread proves the earthing of an SWA feeding a shed is an immensely complicated issue far beyond the capabilities of an electrician.... and a legal minefield. I think the regulations should only permit Electrical Engineers with a minimum of 50yrs experience to install a sub to a shed. Either that or electricity in sheds should be banned outright and thousands of lives will be saved.
I'm not going anywhere near my shed until it has been disconnected by the SAS in full protective regalia, and I'll wont sleep easy ever again, haunted by the realisation that I've been doing it wrong all these years.

‘Respect for life, law, the environment and public good’

If you CRA something and come to the conclusion it’s okay to do. Then you have no respect for life or law.

You take the worst case scenario and you put processes in place to try and counteract it. You don’t save £5 and hope it’s not you that kills someone, because you knew it can happen, but did nothing to counteract it.

Clearly this thread proves the earthing of an SWA feeding a shed is an immensely complicated issue far beyond the capabilities of an electrician.... and a legal minefield. I think the regulations should only permit Electrical Engineers with a minimum of 50yrs experience to install a sub to a shed. Either that or electricity in sheds should be banned outright and thousands of lives will be saved.
I'm not going anywhere near my shed until it has been disconnected by the SAS in full protective regalia, and I'll wont sleep easy ever again, haunted by the realisation that I've been doing it wrong all these years.
Legal minefield when you kill someone or burn a shed down. Yes!

You shouldn’t export a DNO earth without their consent. What you do is provide your own! That’s called TT and doing the RIGHT thing. Get over yourself.

You shouldn’t export a DNO earth without their consent. What you do is provide your own! That’s called TT and doing the RIGHT thing. Get over yourself.
your ----ing in the wind bob.
All them school jobs I’ve done where different buildings exist from the same installation, all the new build student block accommodations I’ve been involved with and army base new builds ,all with the installation earth extended to each building and non TT.
All the jobs I’ve been on and tested etc, don’t recall many being TT where numerous buildings exist but all must be breaking your law then?

how the hell does the CPC "vaporise" when the circuit was energised?? If there was a dead short between L-E then the OCPD would have tripped. Sounds a bit iffy to me.
I dunno, but that was the expert witness evidence provided by the forensic investigation.
If the circuit was repeatedly energised then it may well have blown the cpc away, we don't have adequate detail to know.
What was the fault current, I think it may have been a block of flats?
As she was definitely in a flat, so the sub may have been close.
There was no RCD on the circuit, so the fault would have been at full PFC at that point.

With regards to the Emma Shaw case:
The installation was constructed to the 16th edition.
She was electrocuted in 2007.
The ECA were called as expert witness.
A screw fixing plasterboard to metal stud work penetrated a cable, making contact with both the Line and CPC.
Subsequent energisation did cause part of the damaged CPC to be vaporised, which left the unearthed metal stud work live.
The CPS decided there was insufficient evidence to prosecute anyone for manslaughter.
The Coroner did not write to every NICEIC QS, he wrote to the NICEIC and the Chair of the Competent Persons Forum.
Two people, an unqualified Inspector and his QS were prosecuted under HASAWA section 7.
The QS was found guilty and fined £1000.

With regards to the Emma Shaw case:
The installation was constructed to the 16th edition.
She was electrocuted in 2007.
A screw fixing plasterboard to metal stud work penetrated a cable, making contact with both the Line and CPC.
Subsequent energisation did cause part of the damaged CPC to be vaporised, which left the unearthed metal stud work live.
The CPS decided there was insufficient evidence to prosecute anyone for manslaughter.
The Coroner did not write to every NICEIC QS, he wrote to the NICEIC and the Chair of the Competent Persons Forum.
Two people, an unqualified Inspector and his QS were prosecuted under HASAWA section 7.
The QS was found guilty and fined £1000.
That is pretty much correct spin.
Under rule 43, the coroner wrote to theNICEIC, and they wrote to all their QS's & PDH's at that point in time.
Or at least they told the Coroner they did, because if they hadn't the Coroners powers could have taken that further.

your ****ing in the wind bob.
All them school jobs I’ve done where different buildings exist from the same installation, all the new build student block accommodations I’ve been involved with and army base new builds ,all with the installation earth extended to each building and non TT.
All the jobs I’ve been on and tested etc, don’t recall many being TT where numerous buildings exist but all must be breaking your law then?
With designers getting permission to run submains you can p*** in the wind all day long.......because they have a defence. It’s a phone call and an email we do it all the time, it takes 15mins.
And yes they do say no a fair bit.

Read up ^^^ Mr IET forum member.
I take it that’s a no.
I am no longer a member of the forum, and have not been so for some time.
What I find odd, is that I can find Regulations in both ESQCR and the old Electricity Supply Regulations which state the DNOs cannot refuse a connection for an installation which complies with the Wiring Regulations.
I can find publications from The IET and Stroma describing how to export the installation earth to outbuildings.
There is even a video by John Ward detailing how to export the earth.
That’s without really trying.

You on the other hand are unable to find anything at all to back your claims.

Why is this?

I take it that’s a no.
What I find odd, is that I can find Regulations in both ESQCR and the old Electricity Supply Regulations which state the DNOs cannot refuse a connection for an installation which complies with the Wiring Regulations.
I can find publications from The IET and Stroma describing how to export the installation earth to outbuildings.

Why is this?
They can refuse to provide an earth connection.
I take it that’s a no.

Why is this?
ESQCR section 8 first paragraph.
But it’s okay for you to use their earth?! It’s not a bad thing because when their neutral goes and someone dies they just go ‘he didn’t have permission from us’!!! I can show you a whole estate that was section 24’d because of supplies to garages done by a part P wonder. You are either a really sh*t troll or you genuinely think what you proclaim, which is worrying.

Reply to New sub board for shed swa advice. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock