Discuss New sub board for shed swa advice. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

your ****ing in the wind bob.
All them school jobs I’ve done where different buildings exist from the same installation, all the new build student block accommodations I’ve been involved with and army base new builds ,all with the installation earth extended to each building and non TT.
All the jobs I’ve been on and tested etc, don’t recall many being TT where numerous buildings exist but all must be breaking your law then?
With designers getting permission to run submains you can p*** in the wind all day long.......because they have a defence. It’s a phone call and an email we do it all the time, it takes 15mins.
And yes they do say no a fair bit.

Read up ^^^ Mr IET forum member.
I take it that’s a no.
I am no longer a member of the forum, and have not been so for some time.
What I find odd, is that I can find Regulations in both ESQCR and the old Electricity Supply Regulations which state the DNOs cannot refuse a connection for an installation which complies with the Wiring Regulations.
I can find publications from The IET and Stroma describing how to export the installation earth to outbuildings.
There is even a video by John Ward detailing how to export the earth.
That’s without really trying.

You on the other hand are unable to find anything at all to back your claims.

Why is this?

I take it that’s a no.
What I find odd, is that I can find Regulations in both ESQCR and the old Electricity Supply Regulations which state the DNOs cannot refuse a connection for an installation which complies with the Wiring Regulations.
I can find publications from The IET and Stroma describing how to export the installation earth to outbuildings.

Why is this?
They can refuse to provide an earth connection.
I take it that’s a no.

Why is this?
ESQCR section 8 first paragraph.
But it’s okay for you to use their earth?! It’s not a bad thing because when their neutral goes and someone dies they just go ‘he didn’t have permission from us’!!! I can show you a whole estate that was section 24’d because of supplies to garages done by a part P wonder. You are either a really sh*t troll or you genuinely think what you proclaim, which is worrying.

Open circuit pen conductors only really an issue on TNCS arrangements tho isn’t it?
An accident can occur with that whether you have extended an equipotential zone to an outbuilding or if it’s just located in the one building containing the installation earth, the point being that the touch voltage should be lower than if you hadn’t provided protective bonding at all.
Show us evidence of this section 24’d site if you please?

Yep totally acceptable. Let me guess hdpe pipe? Metal shed extend it.
Use the armour as the cpc....oh no you have to use armour glands ahh a 4 core SWA? Baring in mind that’ll cost more than an earth rod honest to god comedy gold.
#E5
Sorry @bigbob1...I don't want to come across as rude but could you please put that in English that can be understood? Thanks.

Why is this?
As I posted before his just on here to wind up and insult everyone.Why does the IET who publish the regs show in their guidance notes you can export the earth? These E5 members seem to have clubbed together had a badge made (had to redesign it as not to be sued by TFL) to look down on high at us electricians to tell us we are all doing it wrong. For some reason, this Bob thinks he is all above us but no substance. The only one in this group that has got my respect is this Ninger bloke who does some very well presented and explained youtube videos.
Pete, I think that I have an earth rod if you want one.

It should only be an issue with open circuit PEN/CNE conductors, but even on presented TN-S supplies these days they are often TN-C-S further upstream.
They annoying thing is the extents that the paying customer (& thus the spark) has to potentially go to so that the DNO's can get away with a lack of maintenance and investment in their networks, so that they can make more profit. Whilst sparks get a bad reputation for being accused of trying to rip off the punter because of the upgrading to earthing and bonding needed.
Eventually the public pays and the DNO's get away with it and make more profit that they can siphon offshore.

I don't really get all this, using the example from 2007, or whenever, to back up an argument for not extending a supply from a tncs system. It's not even an example of a neutral failure in such an installation (which is basically the argument for not extending). That is generally a problem caused by DNO ineptitude and, as such, should be down to them.

As I posted before his just on here to wind up and insult everyone.Why does the IET who publish the regs show in their guidance notes you can export the earth? These E5 members seem to have clubbed together had a badge made (had to redesign it as not to be sued by TFL) to look down on high at us electricians to tell us we are all doing it wrong. For some reason, this Bob thinks he is all above us but no substance. The only one in this group that has got my respect is this Ninger bloke who does some very well presented and explained youtube videos.
Sparkyninja he is a member on here widdler is his forum name.
Well informed YouTube videos , educational and a fellow north easterner!

There is not necessarily a problem with exporting an earth if it's done correctly.
I think that there is some misunderstanding with regard to this, and yes there is a lot of guidance on doing this.
I think that the discussions with regard to the exporting earths has been quite vociferous and also, I think that the issue of exporting a PME earth is distracting from the rest of the thread, because it was not originally anything to do with exporting earths, merely about earthing of SWA & where.
Now that applies even within an equipotential zone.

Can we get an understanding that HASAWA and EAWR apply to domestic works when they are being done, and the installation that is left behind afterwards, now that it seems the legal case has brought enlightenment?

I would like to bring this to a close, but, until the application of the law is understood and agreed, then I don't see how this can be done.

If so, what's it got to do with an external supply?
Just bad workmanship, surely, giving someone the opportunity to screw through a cable in such circumstances.

Ah, but some trades like to use 100mm screws when a 20 is all that's required ;-) I once had a fault while testing a new installation, turned out to be the fault of the plasterers who picked up the Paslode and fired 50mm brads into my cables while fixing edge bead.

Reply to New sub board for shed swa advice. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net