Discuss Old cable in dwelling light circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Not likely to contain asbestos and it may not even be live a voltage indicator will quickly prove this.
No it’s live, so far initial testing would indicate it is part of the ring circuit for the house lights - Yes I know, all the lights on a single circuit. If this is the main connection to upstairs, it may be a good idea to split the ring and have an upstairs and downstairs both on radial circuits. Further testing will be needed before deciding this however.

Last edited:
No it’s live, so far initial testing would indicate it is part of the ring circuit for the house lights - Yes I know, all the lights on a single circuit. If this is the main connection to upstairs, it may be a good idea to split the ring and have an upstairs and downstairs both on radial circuits. Further testing will be needed before deciding this however.
Dont mean to be pedantic but lighting circuits are radial circuits. I would be very worried if it was a ring circuit.

How would they’ve earthed the circuit as there is no cpc present. I think moving forward the sensible thing to do is have a EICR done. In the meantime for peace of mind, whilst I don’t like meddling with mains electric, I’m competent enough to use my Fluke multifunction tester to do some rudimentary testing. Therefore I will do a r1, r2 + rm and Zs and Ze as I’m not convinced about the external cpc. I will report back.
To be honest, while you could test and prove it is or isn't earthed, its a little bit academic as if that's the supply to the lighting it needs replacing.
It would be helpful/reassuring to know if the circuit is currently RCD protected.
Excellent idea. Northumberland.
I know we said rough, but Haltwhistle to Berwick is a fair trek! (I used to live in Carlisle and love the area you live in).
Are we allowed at least the start of the postcode?!

To be honest, while you could test and prove it is or isn't earthed, its a little bit academic as if that's the supply to the lighting it needs replacing.
It would be helpful/reassuring to know if the circuit is currently RCD protected.

I know we said rough, but Haltwhistle to Berwick is a fair trek! (I used to live in Carlisle and love the area you live in).
Are we allowed at least the start of the postcode?!
Berwick postcode will throw you off… It’s TD, when everywhere else is NE

Berwick postcode will throw you off… It’s TD, when everywhere else is NE
Yeah! I recall it's been in England and Scotland a fair few times.... I've no idea if the story about it remaining at war with Germany or Russia by accident is true but it's a good story nonetheless!

Dont mean to be pedantic but lighting circuits are radial circuits. I would be very worried if it was a ring circuit.

I wouldnt be worried as there's nothing wrong with wiring lighting as a ring, it's just very unusual.

What also may happen is someone may assume there is a ring if there are two cables in an RCBO.

You say this is the main run to upstairs and also have said this connects to a cable coming out of the CU, are there two lighting cables coming out of the CU by any chance? Ie two cables connected to the same MCB or RCBO?

Indeed you would think. However I am assuming it has been wired as a circuit as there are two wires in to MCB. Surly you wouldn’t except 2 radial circuits to be wired in to the same MCB? Nevertheless I am pressuring but will have a better idea tomorrow. But as said above, we’re just going to have it replaced before having new ceilings installed. Better to be safe than sorry. I’m just curious to know what type of wire it is as I’ve never seen its like before. It’s using a 6am MCB with an RCD so I hope the electrician will only need to replace this wire with a new run of 1.5mm2 cable but in all truth I won’t know until I have the EICR completed.

Indeed you would think. However I am assuming it has been wired as a circuit as there are two wires in to MCB. Surly you wouldn’t except 2 radial circuits to be wired in to the same MCB?

This suggests there may be further issues.

I suspect there may be what's called a borrowed neutral between what was originally two lighting circuits and instead of fixing it they have put both cables into the one MCB to make it safe.

You say this is the main run to upstairs and also have said this connects to a cable coming out of the CU, are there two lighting cables coming out of the CU by any chance? Ie two cables connected to the same MCB or RCBO?
You’re spot on Dave but it is an MCB not an RCBO. One of the cables from the CU go to round brown junction box and connects to this wire. I haven’t fully traced the other cable yet.

Indeed you would think. However I am assuming it has been wired as a circuit as there are two wires in to MCB. Surly you wouldn’t except 2 radial circuits to be wired in to the same MCB? Nevertheless I am pressuring but will have a better idea tomorrow. But as said above, we’re just going to have it replaced before having new ceilings installed. Better to be safe than sorry. I’m just curious to know what type of wire it is as I’ve never seen its like before. It’s using a 6am MCB with an RCD so I hope the electrician will only need to replace this wire with a new run of 1.5mm2 cable but in all truth I won’t know until I have the EICR completed.
not unusual to have 2 lighting circuits in 1 MCB, but then, by definition, they both become 1 circuit.

This suggests there may be further issues.

I suspect there may be what's called a borrowed neutral between what was originally two lighting circuits and instead of fixing it they have put both cables into the one MCB to make it safe.
I very much think you are right. I would rather 2 separate circuits, 1 for upstairs and 1 downstairs to allow lighting in the event one area goes down. This wouldn't be an option if both wires are using the same MCB. The only correct way to do this is to replace the entire circuit with new cable. As we’re eliminating the circuit we wouldn’t need to use 3 core with cpc and therefore only need normal 2 core with cpc. Having looked at some of the 2 way switches, there are some single 1mm cables with 2core and cpc. I’m suspecting tge borrowed neutral is going to be in one of these switch/connections.

That does look like concentric cable, rather than twin with all the red insulation missing. Inner conductor, plain rubber insulation, outer conductor, cambric tape and compounded braid sheath. Very rare stuff, I've been collecting cables for 30 years and never seen any of that before.

Interestingly it appears to be 7/.029, going by the size relative to the JB terminals and the fact that .029" was the smallest strand generally used in non-flexibles. This is a larger cable than needed for any normal lighting circuit and, allied with the fact that this type of cable was rarely used in domestic work, I wonder whether it was installed separately to the original installation perhaps as a repair, by someone who had some surplus on hand.

Concentric cable achieves its compactness and enhanced rating in part by having reduced or no insulation over the outer. This imposes the requirement that the neutral conductor is reliably earthed which was not always done until after the war and the amendments to the 11th edition, and sometimes required permission from the supply company. Use of concentric wiring would tend to be a deliberate choice, very often following a proprietary system, not one made on a whim by the installer. It might have been done to the specifications of an engineer who was personally keen on the idea, more likely in the 20's than 30's.

I would be very grateful for an opportunity to save whatever of it you can get out intact, for the museum. Old rubber cables don't always withstand removal without crumbling, but the longer the pieces you can get, the better. I will happily pay for you to pack it in a box and send it down. Even if you can only get short stubs as samples, they are still interesting.

In the meantime when I am next in the museum store I will try to find a reference to it in a catalogue.

That looks like a bit of VIR which is in surprisingly good condition if it is. As far as I know it shouldn't ever have been installed outside of conduit if it is VIR as its the equivalent of modern singles.

I didn't realize it was supposed to be in conduit in floors. I've seen it through conduit in the walls but usually fed through small holes in the joists around here.

That does look like concentric cable, rather than twin with all the red insulation missing. Inner conductor, plain rubber insulation, outer conductor, cambric tape and compounded braid sheath. Very rare stuff, I've been collecting cables for 30 years and never seen any of that before.

Interestingly it appears to be 7/.029, going by the size relative to the JB terminals and the fact that .029" was the smallest strand generally used in non-flexibles. This is a larger cable than needed for any normal lighting circuit and, allied with the fact that this type of cable was rarely used in domestic work, I wonder whether it was installed separately to the original installation perhaps as a repair, by someone who had some surplus on hand.

Concentric cable achieves its compactness and enhanced rating in part by having reduced or no insulation over the outer. This imposes the requirement that the neutral conductor is reliably earthed which was not always done until after the war and the amendments to the 11th edition, and sometimes required permission from the supply company. Use of concentric wiring would tend to be a deliberate choice, very often following a proprietary system, not one made on a whim by the installer. It might have been done to the specifications of an engineer who was personally keen on the idea, more likely in the 20's than 30's.

I would be very grateful for an opportunity to save whatever of it you can get out intact, for the museum. Old rubber cables don't always withstand removal without crumbling, but the longer the pieces you can get, the better. I will happily pay for you to pack it in a box and send it down. Even if you can only get short stubs as samples, they are still interesting.

In the meantime when I am next in the museum store I will try to find a reference to it in a catalogue.
Fascinating and extremely interesting. Thank you for taking the time provided all of tris information. And of course, it would be my pleasure. From the research I’ve done regarding the property, it originally had gas lights fed through led pipes. However in 1929 it was wired with electricity. We are located in a rural location. Obviously in the 2000s it was then once again rewired. The wire is in generally very good condition and I’m sure I will be able to retrieve a good 4-5 meters if that was of any use to you. I would be happy to provide you with some information documenting the property and the chaps who built it, a rather sad story. I will pm you once it has been removed. 😊

I very much think you are right. I would rather 2 separate circuits, 1 for upstairs and 1 downstairs to allow lighting in the event one area goes down. This wouldn't be an option if both wires are using the same MCB. The only correct way to do this is to replace the entire circuit with new cable. As we’re eliminating the circuit we wouldn’t need to use 3 core with cpc and therefore only need normal 2 core with cpc. Having looked at some of the 2 way switches, there are some single 1mm cables with 2core and cpc. I’m suspecting tge borrowed neutral is going to be in one of these switch/connections.

The most common borrowed neutral situation is a single core live taken from the downstairs lighting circuit to the 2 way switch at the bottom of the stairs. Then a twin is taken from downstairs switch to upstairs switch and another single, the switched live, taken from their to the light above the stairs. This light would then have its neutral connected to the upstairs lighting circuit. Thus the two circuits become linked, and quite dangerous for anyone working on it.

I will be able to retrieve a good 4-5 meters if that was of any use to you. I would be happy to provide you with some information documenting the property and the chaps who built it, a rather sad story. I will pm you once it has been removed
Thanks!

The fact that it is rural adds another possible dimension, which from your research you might be able to dismiss or not, and that is whether the original wiring was powered from a generating plant rather than a connection to the public supply. If the property had its own lighting plant, the voltage might have been well below modern mains voltage. 50V and 110V were popular choices, and especially in the case of 50V, larger conductors might have been used hence the 7/.029 for lighting.

I didn't realize it was supposed to be in conduit in floors. I've seen it through conduit in the walls but usually fed through small holes in the joists around here.

We need to be careful and clear with the terminology here. 'VIR' (Vulcanised India Rubber) normally referred to single-core insulated cables without sheath, intended for installation in conduit just like modern singles e.g. 6491X. The external surface of VIR is the braid, not the rubber itself.

'TRS' (Tough Rubber Sheath) normally referred to rubber-insulated and sheathed cables made like modern flat twin and earth, with two or three insulated cores, optionally an uninsulated earth, and an overall extruded rubber sheath. This is not intended to be run in conduit. The term TRS is still used with the same meaning today, mostly in reference to flexibles e.g. H07RN-F

The OP's cable, if it is what it appears to be, is something of an oddity. The outer conductor doesn't need insulating so there is no rubber around it, only the braid. This gives it the appearance of single-core VIR when it actually serves the purpose of 2-core TRS. There were flat twin rubber-insulated cables with braid overall but these are also rare. I do however have samples of a couple of varieties.

Reply to Old cable in dwelling light circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net