Discuss Outdoor Lighting Query in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
G'day.

I've built a pergola in the garden and existing outdoor lights are for the bin.
They are RCD protected mains wired, with a switch in the kitchen, pretty much standard PIR and GU10 type fittings: Looks like this

What I'd like to do is replace this fitting with some 'festoon' lighting similar to this, so I can still switch the lights on and off from the kitchen.
Most of these styles of light however are either solar or mains powered, as in 240v plug.

Can anyone advise me how best to fit something similar to the above to the existing wiring, or what product I should be looking for that can be wired in safely?

Thanks!

So the existing circuit has an outlet 'somewhere' that's hard wired into the first light? If so.... 16A Ceeform is the simplest option:

1619612712558.png1619612757672.png Install the wall outlet somewhere tidy instead of the first light and put a trailing socket on the end of the festoon. I've got exactly the same in Somerset running 50m's!

So the existing circuit has an outlet 'somewhere' that's hard wired into the first light? If so.... 16A Ceeform is the simplest option:

View attachment 85196View attachment 85197 Install the wall outlet somewhere tidy instead of the first light and put a trailing socket on the end of the festoon. I've got exactly the same in Somerset running 50m's!
No, no. There is an existing outdoor light, I'd like to wire in to that

No, no. There is an existing outdoor light, I'd like to wire in to that
Same deal - in whatever way is neatest and safe, wire the socket outlet back to that light and just continue the daisy chain.

Reply to Outdoor Lighting Query in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net