Discuss Prices for long standing cust and little jobs in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi, I have been trading for over 10 years but am having trouble with the people who gave me the chance long ago. I always did the small jobs and charged very little but prices have gone up and my time is more valuable now and am still asked for the same jobs and rate expected.

Think I am too soft but don't know how or waht to do. Anyone else have same issue?

Most reasonable people will understand a price increase in Jan or April.

I would right a generic letter and make it look like it is not aimed at anyone in particular and send it out. Hopefully then the client will not take it personally and accept that prices go up.

Basic inflation means you are making less and less each yr on their jobs but even loyalty needs to have a balance, I can't see anyone not understanding prices need to rise with inflation even those that gave you that foot up.
I am sure if you popped 10% on your labour and then had a chat with them that they have had the same rates for 10yrs and express it was down to there help in jump starting your business as the reason why you have cut them a very good deal for so long but inflation means you can no longer maintain the same rates, I am sure anyone would understand that.

Edit - I would also agree with essex approach of a generic letter, more professional and less personal but that depends on your customer relationship here, sometimes that personal touch is more appreciated but your call on that.

Do they expect diesel to cost the same as it did 10 years ago? Or the price of a pint?

However. IF all your other jobs pay you substantial wages, then doing the odd little job on mates rates to keep them happy, you might get the odd favour from them too

The other concern is that the little jobs that don't make any money, how do you tell people no without losing them or do you just cut your ties, we looked into small jobs and anything less than 2 hours doesn't make any money as paying accountant, admin etc all takes its toll.

While small jobs are less profitable, I find some do lead to much larger jobs. Sometimes for the same customer, sometimes they have then passed my details on to family or friends. So provided they are fairly local, I continue to do them.

What I'm wary of is people who have quite small jobs and seem to think mentioning other work that they might need will get them a cheaper price. Sometimes this other work doesn't exist.

That's my worry, I have 2 customers who will only ever use me or ask my advice on things but then call me round every November to connect Rudolph and January to disconnect him, it takes less than 5 mins, but they are the biggest gossip and tell everyone i'm amazing, don't want to upset them for that but always unsure.

That's my worry, I have 2 customers who will only ever use me or ask my advice on things but then call me round every November to connect Rudolph and January to disconnect him, it takes less than 5 mins, but they are the biggest gossip and tell everyone i'm amazing, don't want to upset them for that but always unsure.
For those 2 customers - if they are local I'd let go as a loss leader. 5 minutes of your time, a bit of a chat with them and they will give everyone that asks your number.

For the others...how frequent are the jobs now? How often do they pass your number out? And when they do, does the other person know and expect a similar charge for something?

Those sort get my 6 month waiting list quote 'I'd love to help you, you are a valuable customer but I'm snowed under and... - else I send the apprentice. I send out revised business terms each January. Allows me to alter prices and any T&C's.

Once had someone ask me to fix their cooker in return for half a dozen eggs. They were an hours drive away!

Hi,if you are still doing fine,after ten years,then you have already been making,mostly the right decisions:)

You should approach the question asked,from the other end...
if you are continuing to deal with these small customers - then you are happy,with the arrangement.

There has to be a reciprocal link. They could be good PR,friends,family...or just be in a good spot,for a sign-written van;)

Remember,we are dealing with that most peculiar,unpredictable entity - the human. Some of those long-term customers,may wonder why you have not increased prices,and not worry. Some will spit the dummy out. There are those that may have other "issues" going on,and resist change,by telling everyone,you upped things because your're struggling/drinking/gambling....

My point is,you can please some of the people,some of the time....

My personal aim,if any of these customers are in contact with each other,would be to keep things the same with some,and up the charges to the lesser minions .... they will be so involved,trying to work out the reasons,you will bypass the bulk of the flak;)

....Hang on,that sounds like the phone.....I'm wanted in Brussels....

Reply to Prices for long standing cust and little jobs in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock