Discuss Toilet facilities on the job in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

oscar21

Esteemed
Reaction score
Whats everyone's take on this, turned up today to start a re-wire and yet again there wasn't any toilet on the job so we ring the builder and he wasn't interested, we offered to pay for a portaloo if he gets it dropped off but he said tough, you either go home or go to a shop.

So obviously we packed everything up and left the job, we've now brought forward our next job and are starting it tomorrow so even if he relents and gets a toilet we can't do anything for 3 or 4 weeks and that's if we even want to go back.

I just don't get it, why would someone want to go to all the trouble of finding someone else, getting them to re-price it, waiting for them to have an available slot and still have the possibility that they won't start without a toilet anyway. Or they could just pay £28 per week and have toilet facilities on the job. Its madness.

Whats everyone's take on this, turned up today to start a re-wire and yet again there wasn't any toilet on the job so we ring the builder and he wasn't interested, we offered to pay for a portaloo if he gets it dropped off but he said tough, you either go home or go to a shop.

So obviously we packed everything up and left the job, we've now brought forward our next job and are starting it tomorrow so even if he relents and gets a toilet we can't do anything for 3 or 4 weeks and that's if we even want to go back.

I just don't get it, why would someone want to go to all the trouble of finding someone else, getting them to re-price it, waiting for them to have an available slot and still have the possibility that they won't start without a toilet anyway. Or they could just pay £28 per week and have toilet facilities on the job. Its madness.

Is that all it costs for a portaloo? Seems very cheap.

£30 delivery, £30 pickup fee and £28 per week was the quote we got, we only needed it for two weeks so we said if we pay the £28 per week and he pays the other charges he can then decide if he wants to keep it longer or not. In reality we shouldn't have to pay at all for a toilet, there should be something on the job, it doesn't have to be a portaloo, it can be the old toilet left on the job as far as I'm concerned, I don't even mind throwing a bucket of water down it if I have to but you cant have a job with no facilities at all, they would see their arse if I took the consumer unit out on day one and said go to a shop to charge your batteries up.

I must agree with the OP, not having any welfare facilities for a job is simply not on. If the job was an hour max to do something simple, maybe OK, but not even for a half-day job.

Also that is a good price. We pay £214.90 per month (inc VAT) for a hired toilet, that includes a damage waiver, and it also has a heated hand wash. Luxury!

It still freezes in winter and several months back we just did stuff from home all week as toilet was out of service for that reason.

I have had this on site, no toilet. Not been a problem so far as I don't usually need it during working hours. But I take your point it is a bit difficult to have no facility, agreed.

I agree totally this is 2023, no body should be using a bucket, however what I am puzzled about is if you have offered to pay for a toilet why did you just not go ahead and have one delivered to site.

I think they wanted a compromise where customer pays for delivery/removal and they pay for the daily cost.

Seems like a fair deal to me.

I agree totally this is 2023, no body should be using a bucket, however what I am puzzled about is if you have offered to pay for a toilet why did you just not go ahead and have one delivered to site.

They offered to pay for just the toilet. Not the delivery and pick-up.

I have had this on site, no toilet. Not been a problem so far as I don't usually need it during working hours.

Are we talking for both a wee and a dump??
No way I'm not going to the bog during the working hours.

Been on plenty sites where no toilet is available , or a bucket in the corner is the only facility provided

disgusting memories watching the plumber taking a massive sh!t in a bucket

There are laws about toilets and requirement when x plus on site etc ?

15 years ago we rolled up on behalf of a world Famous interior designer .To Do a large project . Everything from £1300 a roll wallpaper in some rooms and seriously valuable antique lights etc etc . Kitchen was also been re painted (Cabinets ) and new stone etc . Clients living in during works . Day one... The lady announces no one is to use any toilet or eat or drink within the property . Now , This designer has a team to work out all the contracts etc , site visits etc .Yet no one had mentioned the "use of facilities " during long working days etc . She expected vehicles to be parked on the road and not the drive etc etc . Lucky the designer 'Held rank" and could have easily moved the teams onto another job same day for most . She was "told" to make a toilet available and allow vehicles on site . The idea that things like this are not mentioned and planned before hand is madness and can lead to arguments .

Like I say, it doesn't have to be a state of the art toilet, we just want something, its alright ----ing in a grid for a while but if there are half a dozen of you it still stinks after a few days and you also have to be wary of the neighbours catching you with your old chap out, its not a lot to ask, and I would have thought a lot easier to implement that getting another tradesperson in.

The good thing about our job is you cant get sacked, if you don't like a job or the client doesn't like you you simply pack your tools up and move onto the next job, you don't have to worry about your P45 or going to the jobcentre etc, its just another day another job.

I never do a no. 2 on site, especially domestic. I have always been taught that is not on. Yet I have seen some persons using a sink for a cockle-doodle-doo (rhymes with!) There are some animals on site sometimes. No bladder control, just don't feel the need during the working day.

Reply to Toilet facilities on the job in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net