Discuss How long before chasing payment? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Maybe I've just been lucky, but I very rarely have an issue with customers paying, the vast majority have paid straight away or within a few days. However I'm still waiting for payment for an emergency call out I attended in early December.

Without going into all the details, I got a call at 4.30 on a Saturday evening from someone near me with no power on most circuits after plugging in outside Christmas lights. I agreed to go and look, rather foolish because we were going out to meet family with table booked for 7, would have to leave by 6.30, but it was a only a few houses away and from sound of it would have put money on it being faulty lights that wanted binning. Long story short it wasn't as straightforward as that, ended up having to go and get a part and turned up an hour and half late for meal while OH had to get a taxi. Needless to say I never heard the end of it for days. Waited a week before billing to make sure everything was fine first, customer said it was and thank you. Sent the bill, heard nothing yet. Just interested to know people's thoughts on what point I should start chasing. Not quite 30 days yet and don't want to chase it too early especially with Christmas in that period but after bending over backwards in what was supposed to be my free time I can't say I'm not a little miffed for not being paid yet.

I guess it depends on the payment terms on the invoice.
I usually don't send reminders before 30 days, others are different.
I'm a bit sharper for stage payments and planned work where costs are known but as you say unplanned call outs at an expensive time of year can be tricky for some customers.

Unless credit terms have been agreed I'm of the opinion that all payments are due upon completion of works - at worst upon receipt of invoice. As such, one week should be more than sufficient for any private customer to make payment.

I'd pray for another fault to befall any customer who expects out of hours service and subsequently delays payment.

I put 7 days on mine and send a polite reminder after 14 days.
I would definitely be chasing them after 30 days. They may well have just forgotten and pay up straight away.

Seven day payment only after that they incur interest, just let them know, especially at a weekend call out. let them also know that if they do not pay immediately you will let every trade you work with in the area that they are bad payers, you do not need them as a client.

Seven day payment only after that they incur interest, just let them know, especially at a weekend call out. let them also know that if they do not pay immediately you will let every trade you work with in the area that they are bad payers, you do not need them as a client.

Data Protection Act applies to electricians, just as it does to everyone else. Telling people you're going to use their information in breach of the Act wouldn't be advisable.

Not using their information, you are using your own information, and word of mouth is only their word against yours and not provable "I just don't remember that conversation"

Not using their information, you are using your own information, and word of mouth is only their word against yours and not provable "I just don't remember that conversation"

You would be discussing information pertaining to their private business. Regardless of what might be morally right or wrong, you would be on the wrong side of this law.

No you would not, you are discussing information pertaining to your business which you are free to divulge to anyone you wish, nothing to do with the data protection act, at a very great stretch it may be construed as liable, but almost impossible to prove.

If you want to go the correct route, then a recorded delivery letter including the invoice and informing them of pending small claims court proceedings where liquidated and ascertained costs would be applied for in addition to the monies owed.

Dear customer I have sent you a reminder of a invoice that has not been paid, I would remind you if probet payment is not paid with in the next couple of days
Then I have no alternative to recover the amount owed in which will a added cost to you. If any proceeding to recover the payment, I must remind you that all recovery off the amount will go against you in a court of law. Aka judge Buzz light year.

It sucks
We had 3 calls for out of hours emergency stuff on the Christmas holidays

2 were unknown and one was existing client

Each client was sent an quote prior to leaving for site.
The ones we did not know we required payment prior to leaving.

One accepted and one declined- funny that an emergency did not turn out to be one when they had to hand over a wad prior to the visit

We only do this for call outs, all other work is invoiced later.

It sucks
We had 3 calls for out of hours emergency stuff on the Christmas holidays

2 were unknown and one was existing client

Each client was sent an quote prior to leaving for site.
The ones we did not know we required payment prior to leaving.
Wow, I love customers that ring up over Xmas no power ovens off, OK, will come round if payment is done over the phone, if not you can cook your turkey over a candle.

Hello Mrs Williams,

I'm just checking my accounts and I notice your invoice hasn't been paid. I sent it by email on December 15th. If you haven't seen it, have a quick check of your junk folder. I'll send it again if you can't find it.

I'm glad we managed to get your Christmas tree lights back on and I hope you had a good Christmas.

Kind regards,

Reply to How long before chasing payment? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net