Currently reading:
RCD manual test button

Discuss RCD manual test button in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Mr.Black

Right folks i've got a problem.

Fitted a 63A 30mA double pole rcd (protecting outhouse)which is being fed from 63A s-type rcd(in house).
Tested rcd in outhouse-doesn't trip.
Tried manual test button as well-doesn't trip.

Re-placed it and tried again.Same as before.

Am i right in thinking that 2 rcd's are faulty or am i doing something worthy of the muppet of the year award.

I don't have much faith in the supplier......Q.V.S. as their stuff seem a bit cheap on the quality side.

The rcd is a Q-line.

Don't think i'll be using this mob again.

Anyone got any ideas or had simmilar probs.

Oh and i'm going to be using this one for the Nappit assessment.

Got to be dodgy RCD's. I had a problem a year or 3 ago with dodgy kit which i hadn't heard of but met the right British standards. Learn't from it and now use Wylex, thats just my preference though, i have used all the mainstream CU's but Wylex are spot on for me.:)

I have only had faulty RCD's / ELCB's out of the box once in all the years I have fitted them had 4 faulty out of eight about 20 years ago

Cheers guys i thought so.

Business partner is now going to get a lecture on buying sub standard produts:D

did check Ze,Zs,R1+R2 etc all okay.

Have got replacement RCD.If this fails i'll start billing them for my time,probably in vain though.

Maybe windmilling is the way to go.........

Got to be dodgy RCD's. I had a problem a year or 3 ago with dodgy kit which i hadn't heard of but met the right British standards. Learn't from it and now use Wylex, thats just my preference though, i have used all the mainstream CU's but Wylex are spot on for me.:)

Have you checked the Wylex / Volex recall? :eek:

Its from the Q-line range.(excel)

I know i've never heard of them before either.

These wouldn't be on the list.........or are they?

Anyone had a look recently?

Was thinking of using the wylex range from now on but after the re-call....bit apprehensive

How would you know if the ones you buy from now on aren't on the re-call list.

I'm not saying suppliers/private sellers would sell them knowlingly:rolleyes:......at a "fabulously discount price" etc etc

Good one for a new thread this...............

Its from the Q-line range.(excel)

I know i've never heard of them before either.

These wouldn't be on the list.........or are they?

Anyone had a look recently?

Was thinking of using the wylex range from now on but after the re-call....bit apprehensive

How would you know if the ones you buy from now on aren't on the re-call list.

I'm not saying suppliers/private sellers would sell them knowlingly:rolleyes:......at a "fabulously discount price" etc etc

Good one for a new thread this...............

I didn't say that Q-Line Range was on the recall list. I was highlighting the post from Sir Kit breaker woes post is above and was referring to Wylex being spot on.

You get what you pay for. Check out the recall notice. Its only for Wylex and Volex. Part numbers and breaker sizes are there. Its Hager for me. Well untill somethin goes wrong.:rolleyes:

Check whether incoming connections are top or bottom on your rcd's, some are reversible a few are not,I seem to recall fitting one the wrong way round and the test button didnt work.

Hi Mr Black,

I have read the posts with interest as I also had to go and replace two RCDs. At least I thought they were and it was in fact my tester that had gone faulty. It was a bit embarassing for me as you always think that it is the RCD especially when the Ze and R1 and R2 values check out.
Always worth making sure the test instrument is ok.
Good luck with the NAPIT inspection.
Rex

Meter been calibrated a couple of months ago.
The manual test button was not tripping the rcd mate.
So i'm thinking its the product.
You've got me thinking now....i should probably get a check box....or should i?

Check the Rcd terminations I've had it where the the termination screws on the rcd have been tightened up on the insulation of the cables?

Mr. Black, just read this thread, and reminded me that I heard someone once say the rcd test button wasn't working when in fact it wasn't powered up. You know it needs to be connected to the supply for the button to work? Sorry if this is obvious, just that you didn't specifically mention it.

Hi,

Sounds good. Always worth checking the obvious and I have been caught out in the past. Easy to sometimes miss the 'sanity checks'.

I have been thinking of getting a check box but dont know which one. If anyone has any ideas, would be appreciated.

Have used a transmille 2080 at college and seems good but not sure if there is better. this is where I found out for sure my fluke was misbehaving!

Best wishes

Rex

Reply to RCD manual test button in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock