Discuss Electricity running through water pipe? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

BobbyNSW

DIY
Reaction score
Hey all :)

Hope its chill that I'm here asking questions, I just inherited this old decrepit place in NSW (Australia) and went to wash my hands in the up stairs bathroom sink n got an electric shock. I went and flicked off all the switches, I checked with a voltage tester (the kind that glows near current) the other room on that floor didn't have any current flowing through it. But even tho the lights in the bathroom wouldn't turn on, the sink, the toilet and the light switch still had current flowing through them. Am I right in assuming that theres a faulty live wire in the wall the toilet and sink are attached too thats some how still supplying current?

I've blocked it off for now, but how much of a issue is this? I have a picture of what my fuse box looks like and can post if you want to see what I'm working with, but it doesn't have any little T button just some red squares at the bottom of some of the plastic switches, so I don't think it has any safety switches.

Sidenote, there are two exit signs that still had power supplied even when all the switches were switched too off, not sure what thats about, but ones on the bottom floor and another in the stairs.

What are your suggestions?

Cheers in advance,

Bobby.

Pictures are always good. We like pictures….

(You might have to reduce the file size to allow the forum to upload)

The exit lights are possibly battery powered. When the mains power is disconnected, the light comes on with battery.

If the property is as decrepit as you say, then there might be other problems. Maybe it’s worth getting a proper electrical safety check done on the place.

Pictures are always good. We like pictures….

(You might have to reduce the file size to allow the forum to upload)

The exit lights are possibly battery powered. When the mains power is disconnected, the light comes on with battery.

If the property is as decrepit as you say, then there might be other problems. Maybe it’s worth getting a proper electrical safety check done on the place.
Yea I think your right, turns out I might not have any safety switches either hahah which is a bit dicey, so will get a sparky in to do those n see what they say about this as well.
Cheers for replying though :)

Reactions: DPG

Reply to Electricity running through water pipe? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net