Discuss Re wiring a house in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

BG is the worst of the worst. And as others have said buy an RCBO board not a dual RCD board. With the amount of tech in houses now you'll end up with earth leakage issues tripping the RCD. Get the type A RCBO's to avoid the DC leakage of the tech saturating the RCBO's etc. Split load boards are on their way out. Might take another 10 years but they will go. Worth paying the extra now rather than in the future, particularly if you're saving money on the sparky costs.
what's wrong with BG boards? i've installed several with no problems, and their compact RCBOs are nice to work with and a decent price from electrical 2go.

If you hold them firmly and did them with a torque driver they actually didnt, however, I've moved on to wylex and lewden now in any case
you can't put them in any case. it has to be a non-combustible case, (amd.3 to 17th.)).

If you can get the supervision and certification by a suitable electrician, who is a member of a scheme, they may have access to reasonable quality kit at better prices than you are looking at anyhow.

Personally I don't rate BG - LAP is actually a bit better, but as far as the consumer unit I would look at fusebox if you want inexpensive, they are good quality and would provide a full RCBO board inc SPD for typically the cost of a dual board - and far better quality than LAP/BG

try https://www.consumerunitworld.co.uk/cp-fusebox-389-c.asp or a web search.

Unless you have an account with good trade deals (which your guys are likely to have), then Screwfix/tradepoint for cable and perhaps LAP accessories, on-line for Fusebox CU etc.

However if you can I would prefer better quality accessories (socket outlets etc) as these take the most day to day impact/wear and tear

If you do get a spark willing to do this for you, I’d ask em for two quotes, one all in and one with you doing the donkey work, depending on the property you might be surprised at what the difference actually is, baring in mind they’ll have wall chasers and proper dust extractors, well sparks will Dave down the pub will pull his t shirt up over his nose and go round with a dustpan and brush!, don’t underestimate how much mess it makes to rewire a house and it is hard work if the place is full of furniture, also remember that any spark that will 3rd party it will stipulate what brands etc you use, if signing off someone else’s work I wouldn’t want to be part of it if the cheapest stuff available was involved....
Good luck ?

edit...although I’m with stroma and I believe they allow 3rd party sign off but I’m with @happyhippydad on this and would only really even consider it for family and close friends, I think someone else mentioned in the current climate of no win no fee this situation has the potential to go a bit Yankee in the future with well meaning people being sued left right and centre ?

Last edited:
what's wrong with BG boards? i've installed several with no problems, and their compact RCBOs are nice to work with and a decent price from electrical 2go.
Cheap, nasty, poorly made, thin metal, distorted CU's. Not aware they do any Type A RCD's or RCBO's - not that I would look as its not within the scope of the company USP to fit that sort of stuff. As a business we also support wholesalers not DIY sheds.

We are ripping one out this week to replace with a 20 way Hager duplex with type A RCBO's. Happy to post it to you if you want it (the BG board that is), otherwise it will go in the bin (where it belongs)

Cheap, nasty, poorly made, thin metal, distorted CU's. Not aware they do any Type A RCD's or RCBO's - not that I would look as its not within the scope of the company USP to fit that sort of stuff. As a business we also support wholesalers not DIY sheds.

We are ripping one out this week to replace with a 20 way Hager duplex with type A RCBO's. Happy to post it to you if you want it (the BG board that is), otherwise it will go in the bin (where it belongs)
Agree with the cheaply made. I found the cutouts too well secured so a bugger to get out, and could never get the lid to fit properly because of flex in the metal. Used to like their plastic ones, but gave up on the metal ones several years back.

However, they do appear to have Type A RCDs available at Screwfix now so I'm sure RCBOs won't be long. They also have a new design with a drop down flap rather than the previous lift up flap, so perhaps they are improving.

There are still cases where replacing with a cheap dual RCD is still the better option than doing nothing, so there is maybe a market for them.

The main problem is that it makes landlords and clients think that all boards should be that price so encourages the race to the bottom...

Most electricians are ripping out dual RCD boards in preference to all RCBO's ask your sons electrician friends if they have a decent one spare, not ideal, but if cash is that short?
Why? are they jumping on the "lets start ripping people off band wagon"?

Reply to Re wiring a house in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock