Discuss Smoke alarm problems in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

as long as you islate before touching connections. first check if they are correct . it's just L - L, N - N, Link - Link.

If you have the instructions, taking off the detector part is straight forward.

Here's a picture of what you should see

View attachment 5011

The one downstairs, that i think is right looks just like that

The one upstairs has brown in brown, black with a thicker brown insulation in the middle one, and grey in the last one that should be blue. There is no blue wire upstairs at all

in the one downstairs there are two grey fat wires, that split into the relevent ones.

Upstairs there is not, there is only one fat wire that splits into the relevant ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes. its just that you have to make sure that the brow/black/grey are in the same order on both. the brown sleeve is to identify the black as a "live". the grey , strictly speaking shoud be sleeved blue. generally it's brown =L, black=link, grey=N.

Last edited:
I have attached pictures. The first two are of the one downstairs, the second two are of the one upstairs.

Ignore the bad painting.... ;)

From the pics there may be a clear issue, but i dont want to prejudice your minds with it...

Attachments

• IMAG0015.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMAG0018.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited by a moderator:
i give up. are the grey and black the same way upstairs as down?

Last edited:
that's what i thought from the pics. if so , he's not read my previuos posts.

Sorry I have read them, I just am wary of making any changes before i absolutely know what im doing.

I apologise if im coming across thick, im not, i just dont want to make any errors and am unsure of the affects any errors could cause.

So by that its clear the colour wires are not matching up.

So as I know the downstairs one works, im to change the one upstairs to match that of the one downstairs?

I'm guessing to say it's probably connected to the lighting circuit so make sure you isolate the circuit before you touch it.

Shame the installer didn't use "blue" sleeve on the "neutral" like they should have done

It has its own switch on the electricity fuse board thing, but before i try touching it i will turn whole switch board off. Is there anything else i have to do, earth myself or something?

Hum, no not really, if you turn the whole lot off, all you will then need is a small screw driver, and a good pair of steps.

I'd like to know how the original sparky could claim they worked ok!

As would I mate, I have the original electricity installation certificate because it was a complete rewire. Luckily everything else has been brill.

Thanks all for all your help, I will post the results soon

smokes must have been wired by a blonde on friday afternoon.

By a fiery ginger actually ;)

All done, all electrics back on, and alarms fitted, green lights on and working as they should.... for now.

Thanks to all those who helped, even if it was just simple pointing out errors etc, its much appreciated and saved a man, who is technically unemployed (writing up my thesis for PhD) an outlay to a new spark who could have charged me the world.....

Many thanks

Gareth

any spark worth his weight in donkey poo would have only charged a call-out fee, say £30 -£35. but, there are sharks out there would have turned it into a half day's work and charged over a ton. good job it wasn't a plumbing problem.LOL.

Haha, dont get me started, had some plumbing needing doing, basically sink washing machine and dish washer plumbed in, and a shower to be finished, glass surround to be put on and shower unit to be installed. Guy said a day rate and would take 4 days... I said, ok, as just needed doing, he said he was off on holiday so could he bring a mate, half the amount of days same rate.

I said no probs, turns out, guy he brings is a mate of a mate, he does shower in two hours and then gets the fella to hurry up, in total paid for one day as they were done by 12.....

The mate of the mate is now doing work for people I know, and doing a great job.... quick, talented and always in demand, the other guy if i rang up now he would be free to work tomorrow no doubt ;)

Reply to Smoke alarm problems in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net