Search the forum,

Discuss Something does not add up.. in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I know of 1 other system that is on the same sub station looks in the region of a 2kWh, i have long had issue with halogens popping way to soon and LED transformers not lasting long..

Well if you do have a voltage issue at some point, check with your neighbours as if they are also experiencing high wear & tear - as you may find that approaching a DNO in bulk, is a lot lot easier with a more favourable result, especially if they have to fork out for replacements like they did with me.

The other thing to consider is that occasionally some installers have incorrectly connected the PV to the WRONG side of the consumers meter, so you're not getting the benefit of anything you generate (except the FiT).

How is your's wired in - a photo would help us and save a dozen posts asking for more detail.
yeah, rings a bell that one.....:redface:

looking at the figures again, it's not that unlikely that they're actually right though, given the rubbish march we've just had, could be explained by more lights being in use, or something being used more in the house - it's not that different.

Definitely worth keeping a proper eye on it though - we've had to replace a landis meter for someone recently that was reading much higher than it should, we put it on test in series with another meter and it's now reading around 50% higher than the other meter, having worked fine for 3 years.

Definitely worth keeping a proper eye on it though - we've had to replace a landis meter for someone recently that was reading much higher than it should, we put it on test in series with another meter and it's now reading around 50% higher than the other meter, having worked fine for 3 years.

Hope it was his generation meter :)

The other thing to consider is that occasionally some installers have incorrectly connected the PV to the WRONG side of the consumers meter, so you're not getting the benefit of anything you generate (except the FiT).

How is your's wired in - a photo would help us and save a dozen posts asking for more detail.

I considered this too, but if his import meter is showing RED then it must be connected in after said meter.

contrary to the above your voltage will reduce from may onwards as the panels become hotter. max voltage produced is likely to be about now when the panels are cold.
current is more affected by the amount of light than voltage. Voltage is affected more by temperature

contrary to the above your voltage will reduce from may onwards as the panels become hotter. max voltage produced is likely to be about now when the panels are cold.
current is more affected by the amount of light than voltage. Voltage is affected more by temperature

I know what you mean, but your statement is contradicting basic Physics concepts now !

Voltage is effected by temperature but it is an indirect resultant change, not directly responsible, and current is directly influenced by either resistance or voltage which indirectly as you say is effected by things like radiation levels unless that is there are new laws recently discovered - lol

Just looking at his peak figs so far he peaked at 1pm with 3.615w @ 39.6deg at 253.1Vac Grid current - that's abit too high for my liking but you maybe right and it may reduce as the mths go by, but he seriously needs to watch this IMO ??

I think we might be ssaying the same thing in a different way danesol:smilielol5:

voltage is affected by the amount of irradiation but, not as much as current and the temperature of the panels in the summer will reduce their voltage output. at the moment, when sunlight is bright with little atmospheric polution but the air is cold panel voltage is likely to be at it's highest. After May it will probably be less.
The systems we have done I have figures for tended to max ot mar/april last year, not in the summer and thats because of the effect of temp on voltage.

basic physics is lab based, actual real life is not.
The laws of physics tell us a rock will fall at the same speed as a feather, but in real life they don't because of the presence of other factors!

basic physics is lab based, actual real life is not.
The laws of physics tell us a rock will fall at the same speed as a feather, but in real life they don't because of the presence of other factors!

They do in a vacuum, plus terminal velocity of all items falling to earth not acted upon via other forces will be the same :tounge_smile:

Now lets get back to Ohms Law ...... lol

They do in a vacuum, plus terminal velocity of all items falling to earth not acted upon via other forces will be the same :tounge_smile:

not in my world they don't.

A rock that weighs the same as a feather would be known as a pebble, not a rock, so a feather will always fall slower than a rock even in a vacuum.

Now, if we were discussing pebbles and feathers....... ;)

Well I called the Dno at 4pm had a chat to a lovely lady about the high voltage with regard the pv setup and she amedietly said it sounds like you need it tapping... Anyway engineer turned up at 6:30 did some tests dispite his test was within range he took a look at my PVO logs and agreeded it needs to be looked at, so they are arranging a monitor to be put on my supply, watch this space

oh dear danesol, you completely missed the point!:banghead:

yes, they do in a vacuum, i.e. in the lab, but not in real life, thats why I said because of the presence of other factors. The same as in real life the voltage of your panels will not increase after may.

I know we have just had a long bank holiday but wakey wakey!!

One question to the OP where are you getting your voltage reading from?
Is it from the inverter or are you checking the incoming supply when the PV is not producing?

not in my world they don't.

A rock that weighs the same as a feather would be known as a pebble, not a rock, so a feather will always fall slower than a rock even in a vacuum.

Now, if we were discussing pebbles and feathers....... ;)

so, if she weighs the same as a duck, she must be a witch!

One question to the OP where are you getting your voltage reading from?
Is it from the inverter or are you checking the incoming supply when the PV is not producing?

thats why I suggested he needs someone to look at the installation. It needs a proper evaluation on the ground.

Im getting my readings from the inverter but the engineer tested the incoming supply with the house disconnected and was getting 246v when he put the supply back on and the inverter started generating again it was measuring grid at 246.5v

03/04/1319:2010.457kWh2.614kWh/kW30W66W0.016kW/kW23.5C245.5V--
03/04/1319:1010.446kWh2.612kWh/kW83W24W0.006kW/kW24.0C246.5V

Im getting my readings from the inverter but the engineer tested the incoming supply with the house disconnected and was getting 246v when he put the supply back on and the inverter started generating again it was measuring grid at 246.5v

03/04/1319:2010.457kWh2.614kWh/kW30W66W0.016kW/kW23.5C245.5V--
03/04/1319:1010.446kWh2.612kWh/kW83W24W0.006kW/kW24.0C246.5V

IMO, this needs to be repeated at say peak generation time to see what the actual grid voltage is then... before reconnection

At least now you know its a fairly accurate reading, what you need to know now is why is goes up so high at certain times/generation periods - is it your kit and/or surrounding environment ?

Reply to Something does not add up.. in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back