Discuss The customer is always right. Oh.... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I confess to a ruse which may not be entirely ethical under these circumstances but which avoids resentment for a callout charge just to press a button.

In those scenarios to save face for the customer, I would 'find' a poor contact. I will exercise the offending control 100 times while they are watching, so that the next time it happens, they remember what I did and it makes them check the control before calling me.

I confess to a ruse which may not be entirely ethical under these circumstances but which avoids resentment for a callout charge just to press a button.
This is similar to when I had a repair workshop in the basement of a shop. You never take a repair back upstairs too quickly.
Also similar to when guessing time frames for a horrendous job, guess, and then double it. If you originally reckoned 2 hours, tell them four, and it takes 3 hours you are a hero. Tell them 2 and they will whinge all night!

Probably 20 odd years ago working in a factory which made plastic bags, was actually a fascinating process anyway one of their engineering managers who was being very difficult referred to me with the "c" word. I gave it a few minutes before I said, I may act the "c" sometimes but you will always be a "c". I was much younger and wouldn't dream of doing it now but it made me feel good.
Very Churchill!
"Sir you are drunk!"
"And you madam are ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober"

Probably 20 odd years ago working in a factory which made plastic bags, was actually a fascinating process anyway one of their engineering managers who was being very difficult referred to me with the "c" word. I gave it a few minutes before I said, I may act the "c" sometimes but you will always be a "c". I was much younger and wouldn't dream of doing it now but it made me feel good.
That reminds me of the famous Churchill quote...
Lady Aster: Winston, your are drunk !
Churchill: Madam, you are ugly, but I shall be sober in the morning...

Form the film The Professionals.

J.W. Grant : You bas****

Rico : Yes, Sir. In my case an accident of birth. But you, Sir, you're a self-made man.

In all honesty I think it is perfectly reasonable for a client to state 'it was fine until you messed with it' when the oven keeps tripping the new RCD where it worked perfectly well before. Presumably you did not explain to your client exactly what you were installing and how RCD's are much more sensitive to faults than SE fuses.
It is always good practice to explain to the client that modern circuit protection provides a much higher degree of shock and fire protection but at the same time can react to minor faults that the previous arrangement didn't.
Sometimes you need to put yourself in your clients position, Black list indeed. Pretty poor customer service IMO.
I explained to the customer perfectly well, prior to the upgrade and again in detail on my return visit. I also did not charge for the call out and the 2 replacement lights switches and wall light I did as a good will gesture during the initial job of swapping out the CU.
He was clearly not buying what I was explaining to him - that the fault was most likely already present and that the new RCD had picked this up. If he had been polite to me rather than ranting, and accepted my explanation regarding the oven fault then I would have been happy to replace the faulty element (probably at no cost) since it is was a straight forward job.

So, sorry no I don't agree with you and take offense on your comment about "poor customer service". I have been in the trade for over 30 years and the only genuine complaints I have received in all that time have been for poor or faulty equipment failures, which I have either replaced, if I had supplied them, or been happy on most occasions to replace, at no cost, for decent customers who have accepted that the accessory/equipment they have supplied is faulty. I have and still do, go over and above for good customers and as a result have a very long cliental list of repeat customers and recommendations.

All the other complaints (like the 2 examples in my post) were people who either were not willing to understand/accept the cause/situation or were chancing a compensation claim of some sorts. we have all been victim of this I'm sure.

We often hear the expression... "The customer is always right."
However the customer is not professionally trained, may be biased by what they have seen on TV, on YouTube, heard at the pub.... I could go on...
The fact is, The customer is NOT always right, but "The customer is always the customer!"
Who ever coined that term in the first instance wants a good sharp stick shoving right up their A**

I explained to the customer perfectly well, prior to the upgrade and again in detail on my return visit. I also did not charge for the call out and the 2 replacement lights switches and wall light I did as a good will gesture during the initial job of swapping out the CU.
He was clearly not buying what I was explaining to him - that the fault was most likely already present and that the new RCD had picked this up. If he had been polite to me rather than ranting, and accepted my explanation regarding the oven fault then I would have been happy to replace the faulty element (probably at no cost) since it is was a straight forward job.

So, sorry no I don't agree with you and take offense on your comment about "poor customer service". I have been in the trade for over 30 years and the only genuine complaints I have received in all that time have been for poor or faulty equipment failures, which I have either replaced, if I had supplied them, or been happy on most occasions to replace, at no cost, for decent customers who have accepted that the accessory/equipment they have supplied is faulty. I have and still do, go over and above for good customers and as a result have a very long cliental list of repeat customers and recommendations.

All the other complaints (like the 2 examples in my post) were people who either were not willing to understand/accept the cause/situation or were chancing a compensation claim of some sorts. we have all been victim of this I'm sure.
Fair enough, perhaps it would have been an idea to give that information in your original post. And if your offended, well be offended. Quite frankly the current craze of 'being offended' and having a right to not be offended offends me.

Fair enough, perhaps it would have been an idea to give that information in your original post. And if your offended, well be offended. Quite frankly the current craze of 'being offended' and having a right to not be offended offends me.
i could say that i was offended by your post but i won't. coz I wasn't.
I am a Scouser, not a snowflake.

I agree that my omission of the full details was a clearly a mistake cause evidently it just led to a mis conception of my professionalism. I was offended that you just jumped to the conclusion that it was "poor customer service" rather than the other way around. Re-reading through my post I can see why you may jump to this conclusion, but I would have thought that the vast majority would realise and fill in the missing detail without an explanation.
I don't hold grudges, so I'm happy to accept it as a misunderstanding and will learn to post more detail next time. ?

It's the old tale of paying someone to know exactly where to hit a nail, how hard and for how long, not just paying the guy with the biggest and shinest hammer.
Many years ago when I was just out of my time I got bored with electrics and dabbled in commercial IT (still a black art back then). Story short, a company I had been consulting to went bust but had a mission critical system that had to stay up until the last breath - and it went wrong so the official receivers called me up and asked if I could come and fix it for a fixed fee. I had an inkling what it would be anyway but rang the guy who'd used to look after it in their IT dept before he got redundancy and he echoed my thoughts, so I agreed to the request for a fixed fee of £3k (I knew what the system was worth to them!) 'no matter what it takes' (and £3k was a kings ransom back then). I walked into the building, went to the server room, typed in one line of code, watched it spring back to life and left again. I doubt I was in the building for more than ten minutes and strangely could now afford a very nice holiday with my then GF!

It costs this or f o ok off...
Agreed, it amazes how shallow some people can often be, when you get a customer who is willing to pay £400 - £500 for a pair of shoes but gets upset at a similar cost for a CU upgrade.

The other one that often gets me dismayed is when some people are happy to ignore potentially life threatening electrical installations, or worse have a go at fixing it themselves, cause they don't want to pay a professional.

Some people like things to look good and not so concerned as whether they work correctly or are safe.

I think the modern world we live in with all this sensationalism around appearance or perspective appearance which is rammed down everyone's throats, (especially the younger generations) on social media and "reality tv" has made this situation much worse.

Reply to The customer is always right. Oh.... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net