Discuss Two way conversion - cable laying problems in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

ricci07

Hi, this is my first post on this forum.

I am a traning electrician on my third year of college (level 3 2365), should have had an apprenticeship by now, but hey, I'll be the last it seems...

anyway....

i recently moved house to a place which has the worst switch/sockets locations.

i have done surface trunking socket Spurs for more sockets but have never chased a wall, lifted a floorboard etc...

i need to know how the best way to go about adding another switch into my lounge so I don't have to walk across a dark room when I go to bed.

I don't need to know about the wiring, just the cable laying.

i don't particularly want to use mini trunking from on switch down to the skirting board and around a door frame and to the new to switch location, so I would have to lift floorboards it seems.

we just had new carpet put down, how do I rip that up, and the floorboards and the right floorboard(s) and the correct amount of floorboards?

I asked at college and he said to use trunking,Mobutu I forgot to say there was a door frame I would have to vault over too.

any help would Be welcomed :)

Riccardo.

Do it before the carpets are laid, or else wait 6-12months for the carpet to settle before attempting to lift it or else you'll need a carpet fitter to stretch it back in to position.

Hi dude,is this your own property? Just getting me head round your paying for new carpet to be laid,then ripping it up yourself...:icon12:

Well, it's a council house. They gave us a empty shell and we or I have had to to remove wallpaper, skim walls level floors install skirting, sockets, pipe boxings kitchen floors, line the walls, paint, gloss, etc.... So haven't had the time to add fancy things like extra switches until now.

so you see, now that the carpet is down and I have finished the decor I have time to install switches, and it just happens that we have carpet down now.

Well, it's a council house. They gave us a empty shell and we or I have had to to remove wallpaper, skim walls level floors install skirting, sockets, pipe boxings kitchen floors, line the walls, paint, gloss, etc.... So haven't had the time to add fancy things like extra switches until now.

so you see, now that the carpet is down and I have finished the decor I have time to install switches, and it just happens that we have carpet down now.

Definatly a wind up

Got to be. ohdear-meme.jpg

I have had to to remove wallpaper, skim walls level floors install skirting, sockets, pipe boxings kitchen floors, line the walls, paint, gloss, etc.... So haven't had the time to add fancy things like extra switches until now.

What test results did you get on the new sockets you put in?

Do the council allow you to modify the fixed wiring? If so, presumably you will be testing and issuing certs? Daz

Yeah, because and English person is an immigrant to England. No, actually my mother split with my dad and didn't have a well paying job to afford a mortgage!

the owners of the house i.e. us the tax payer won't take to kindly to you bodging the electrics besides you are possibly creating a hazard for yourself and your family, give the council a call and explain your situation if you are lucky a council approved contractor will come and carry out the alterations try and watch and you could learn a few things. However the needs of the occupier should have been accessed before you move in and from experience the basics are all that is allowed for in fitting.

1st fix (chasing walls, lifting floorboards, running in cables) should be done first, then you plaster the walls, put in the skirting boards and do the painting, then the 2nd fix can be done over the top of that so you don't end up with all the sockets and switches stuck to the walls with paint.
Carpets, curtains and other soft furnishings go in last so they don't get spoiled by building work.

Have all the other lads on your college course got apprenticeships except you ? Why is that ?
You should not be doing any work without the councils permission and I'm pretty sure they will not give it for you doing electrical.
as already suggested get them in to do any work you want.

Reply to Two way conversion - cable laying problems in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net