Discuss Type A RCD upstream,downstream or up the swanny. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi All.
I've got to get a job ready for Pod point to install a car charging unit.
They need the gas bonding to be done,which is quite straight forward.
And they need a type A RCD put in the board.
The point is going in a garage which has a sub board feed from a B40 mcb on the main house board,which has type AC RCDs.
Im finding it difficult to get hold of more specific information from them. But Im guessing they want the AC RCD covering the B40 mcb in the main board swapping out for a type A ?
Should the subboard also have a type A RCD?
I've only briefly visited the job,so I still have to get my bearings with it all.
Any thoughts from those that know more than me on this?

I think what you're looking at is type A at the main board upstream of a B type rcbo at the sub board for the ev charger

The AC types don't work upstream of the B types

DC-sensitive type B RCDs are quite expensive, check if it is actually needed as some EV chargers only expect type A feeding them as they handle DC leaks themselves.

If the main board has a 30mA RCD feeding the garage then it does not need a local RCD. It won't do any harm, but it is not needed, and means there are two possible devices to reset if tripped.

If the garage feed is SWA then it does not need a RCD feeding it (unless TT so Ze too high) so it would be better to have the RCD at the garage CU and a non-RCD MCB on the supply. Less chance of a garage/EV fault taking out house electrics.

DC-sensitive type B RCDs are quite expensive, check if it is actually needed as some EV chargers only expect type A feeding them as they handle DC leaks themselves.

If the main board has a 30mA RCD feeding the garage then it does not need a local RCD. It won't do any harm, but it is not needed, and means there are two possible devices to reset if tripped.

If the garage feed is SWA then it does not need a RCD feeding it (unless TT so Ze too high) so it would be better to have the RCD at the garage CU and a non-RCD MCB on the supply. Less chance of a garage/EV fault taking out house electrics.
Brilliant thanks , they have stipulated a type A rcd .

Just to add, if you can change the board RCD to type A it is generally a good thing as better protects other circuits from electronic-style faults.

But see what you find on a closer inspection. You might also find problems in getting new parts for it if the main board is quite old which makes the best solution a more complicated judgment.

If in doubt get some photos, @westward10 is the one to ask for any unusual CU parts, he is a walking encyclopedia!

Just to add, if you can change the board RCD to type A it is generally a good thing as better protects other circuits from electronic-style faults.

But see what you find on a closer inspection. You might also find problems in getting new parts for it if the main board is quite old which makes the best solution a more complicated judgment.

If in doubt get some photos, @westward10 is the one to ask for any unusual CU parts, he is a walking encyclopedia!
Thank you very much for taking the time. Much appreciated ?

I was assuming it was a TT setup at the main board

I'm not that familiar as we don't have it here

You don't want 2 30mA RCDs in series as pointed out
Its a tncs system as I recall. They have power networks coming to upgrade the fuse also.Theres actually a three phase head,although only one phase is used.

If the Sub main is SWA remove from DB and fit in switch fuse sized to cable size etc and feed from Tails with Henry's

Garage end fit a new DB with Separte DP RCBO for each circuit Pod point will fit a CT to garage supply and set the clamp current to the size of the switch fuse or lower to stop any overloads of the sub main

Any questions PM me as quite knowledgeable on there use and installation

And a type A RCBO is fine if you have a AC downstream it will be Blinded by the DC and might not work so essential to get this right

Fit an MCB in the garage board and route it through a separate type a rcd?
Typical Pod Point though... get all the hard work done as they cant and dont do it then come fit a charger...
I use the small enclosures with Type A RCD/RCBOs in from WCED you can buy one on amazon for £25-30

Reply to Type A RCD upstream,downstream or up the swanny. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock