Discuss Type AC RCD's and EICR's in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

goasis

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hi all. What are your thoughts on coding type AC RCDs when doing EICR's?
I understand the issue on DC currents preventing RCd's from functioning correctly.
The Am2 version of code breakers suggests a C2 coding for: "....type AC RCD and has pulsating DC currents from connected equipment such as EV,PV, switch mode power supplies, domestic appliances with VSDs etc..."

I get the first two, (EV,PV) they should be fairly obvious, how are we making judgement calls on the other items, esp if we are in an unoccupied house between tenants for example?

I would have hoped that the BPG#4 would have been updated by now for AM2 but nothing yet.

My own feeling is C2 would only be merited if the sockets are likely to be used outdoors and it has PV/EV, as that is when the possibility of DC blinding of the RCD is a real risk to life in the event of a damaged extension lead, inverter fault, etc. But for sockets in general it would have to be minimum C3 these days as practically everything has electronics in it.

The EV that I've installed (just the one) has a built in Type A RCD, and is installed with no other RC devices between it and the DNO source.

Why is this book the go to it doesn't deserve the ink and paper it uses in it's production
I think it's a useful tool to help you think through the inspection and prompt you as to things to look for and consider. My point was to get thoughts on the suggestion that pretty much all type AC rcds you come across are a C2, or how do we go about making a judgement as to whether there are likely to be pulsating dc currents present

I think it's a useful tool to help you think through the inspection and prompt you as to things to look for and consider. My point was to get thoughts on the suggestion that pretty much all type AC rcds you come across are a C2, or how do we go about making a judgement as to whether there are likely to be pulsating dc currents present
The problem is a one size fits all approach doesn't always work and the it must be right cos it says so in codebreakers does not absolve the person doing the EICR from making the correct decision, the most useful tool is actually BS7671 and not some book that carries the opinions of those who have not seen the exact scenario and circumstances you are working with. If you speak to people who contributed to codebreakers they don't necessarily agree with all the outcomes listed so it is clearly flawed

Reply to Type AC RCD's and EICR's in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock