Discuss Worlds fastest EICR ? in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I left a rented place last year after being there for nearly five years, I'd not 'looked at' anything electrical on principle except that I knew the RCD's all worked. In moving out, I decided it was quicker just to swap out an old socket front that had paint on it rather than spend ages trying to clean it up. Took it off.... no cpc!! Found a second hand plate that was passable as 'original', swapped and moved on. I see the new buyers of the place had another spark's van parked outside for about a week.........

I left a rented place last year after being there for nearly five years, I'd not 'looked at' anything electrical on principle except that I knew the RCD's all worked. In moving out, I decided it was quicker just to swap out an old socket front that had paint on it rather than spend ages trying to clean it up. Took it off.... no cpc!! Found a second hand plate that was passable as 'original', swapped and moved on. I see the new buyers of the place had another spark's van parked outside for about a week.........
That’s all fine, until the neighbours tell the new owners the last occupant was a spark.... that’s maybe why you didn’t get the work?

?

That’s all fine, until the neighbours tell the new owners the last occupant was a spark.... that’s maybe why you didn’t get the work?

?
Nah, it's all a bit more complex and political than that! Besides, the old neighbour runs a commercial M&E and subs his electrical work to me!!

Artisan baker has a wee rant in his latest upload about trying to decipher another niceic installers drive by eicr

Drive by EICRS ? thats the common phrase round my area and we aren’t yet at the stage of requiring an up to date EICR in Wales yet like the landlords in England and Scotland. I can’t wait till it all sets off and I’m then asked to carry out fault finding on a recently tested property. Not many sparks can fault find which is shocking (excuse the pun)

25 minutes is disgusting. i take at least 30 minutes to get from the van to the front door.

Landlords want safe but cheap in my experience. as long as they get their safety cert they are happy.
But this is the 'modern way'... as long as you have a certificate, then that's fine... you're covered. It happens in all walks of life, not just with EICRs. This approach can work... but as we've already mentioned, it needs to be policed. The various trade bodies should be doing this... with some of the money from the exorbitant annual fees !!

As soon as they start to call people out, cancel memberships and maybe have the odd prosecution... you've see a dramatic improvement overnight !

But this is the 'modern way'... as long as you have a certificate, then that's fine... you're covered. It happens in all walks of life, not just with EICRs. This approach can work... but as we've already mentioned, it needs to be policed. The various trade bodies should be doing this... with some of the money from the exorbitant annual fees !!

As soon as they start to call people out, cancel memberships and maybe have the odd prosecution... you've see a dramatic improvement overnight !
But the trade bodies are directly competing for those fees, so have no pressure to cancel memberships unless forced to by some outside body overseeing them - and that would need money to setup, so we end up back with the mess we started at.

One possible way of dealing with the EICRs would be to set up a system where they are all submitted for review by a suitable body who actually looked at them (or even just sampled some).

A large number would likely fail at the first hurdle with a literal 5 minute glance through that could be rejected and sent back to the landlord to require an updated report - and followed up through schemes where applicable.

Landlords would soon learn that getting a £75 report was not worth the effort and it might eventually settle into a sensible system...

Not sure who that body would be - maybe an online forum of professionals? ?

Just spoke to another landlord who claims £90 is the going rate for a 2 bed apartment and it should take 1.5 hours inclusive of the paperwork .

Just spoke to another landlord who claims £90 is the going rate for a 2 bed apartment and it should take 1.5 hours inclusive of the paperwork .

He is probably about right

I saw a local sparks on facebook bragging that they can do 8-10 EICRs a day and is making about a grand a day doing so

He is probably about right

I saw a local sparks on facebook bragging that they can do 8-10 EICRs a day and is making about a grand a day doing so
This is a question not just my opinion etc ! To arrive at property and then find out or be shown where the basics are etc .Then to drop plates etc , do bond/earthing , lights etc . RCD (ok..thats quick) and paperwork . All in a 1.5 hours Thats bloody fast ?

This is a question not just my opinion etc ! To arrive at property and then find out or be shown where the basics are etc .Then to drop plates etc , do bond/earthing , lights etc . RCD (ok..thats quick) and paperwork . All in a 1.5 hours Thats bloody fast ?
Is this a two man team though? you can have someone running around resetting rcd's, screwing faceplates back etc while the spark does the technical stuff (pressing buttons)
Still quick though

I budget for 4 hrs each one... and that's assuming there's nothing too mad going on. But I do check alot of stuff and the report is something that I'm very happy to put my name to. I don't get involved with competing for the cheapest price.

I can imagine many guys will have jumped onto this "horse" and earned thousands a week . Few adverts . cheap prices .Generic form filling . Cash or card reader payment . Customer happy as they have zero clue .Ride off into the sunset throwing "Burner phones" away etc . closing any paper trails etc . You could easily have earned 4-5k a week the last 5 months .

Reply to Worlds fastest EICR ? in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net