Currently reading:
4 storey terraced house rewire

Discuss 4 storey terraced house rewire in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

keithbr13

Hi every one, I am just in the process of quoting for complete rewire on 4 storey terraced house and would appreciate some advice, would you put each floors skts and lighting on separate circuits ? or maybe combine the two upper floors which are just bedrooms. The basement is to be the kitchen and also location for consumer unit is it good practice to install emergency lighting so if there is a circuit failure it is is safe to find your way to the CU ?

Nice to see that this discussion is working it's way around to Radial​ power circuits - thank goodness!! Is it only us Brits that are obsessed with RFC's?

Stick with radials wherever possible - simpler, quicker, easier to test, easier to fix and often cheaper to install!

I think I'd be recommending two boards with RCBOs to the customer. That would give the most flexibility for future changes, easiest installation, and the lowest nuisance in the event of anything tripping. I'd definately go for radials on a job like this too, and discuss neutrals to light switches with them because you wouldn't want to be trying to alter it on four floors at a later date.

All of which depends on the budget available of course.

the issue isnt circuit / rcd division , but the work involved in cabling all circuits to one point that can be 4 floors away.
if this was a commercial install , say a 4 floor office , would you run all circuits back to the mains room ? of course not , db on each floor.
the design theory is the just the same.
eh?....just get em up in one corner of the house....get some rods....tie em all on and get some one at the top of the house to pull em up.....break of the ones thats going to floors 1 & 2 ....whats hard about that.....ho, and dont pull em up individually either as you risk burnin em....

eh?....just get em up in one corner of the house....get some rods....tie em all on and get some one at the top of the house to pull em up.....break of the ones thats going to floors 1 & 2 ....whats hard about that.....ho, and dont pull em up individually either as you risk burnin em....

you have completely and utterly missed the point of my post.
well done.
and i know how to pull in cables thanks , nice of you to offer some tips though :-/

well done.
oh....you mean volt drop n diversity...doh!!...silly ,me...got it all wrong didn`t i biff...lolffs
so you think volt drop will be an issue here do you..lol...the footprint of a 4 storey terrace will be small..(hence 4 storeys)....so think about it....

oh....you mean volt drop n diversity...doh!!...silly ,me...got it all wrong didn`t i biff...lolffs
so you think volt drop will be an issue here do you..lol...the footprint of a 4 storey terrace will be small..(hence 4 storeys)....so think about it....

stop being a dick.
and you still missed the point of my earlier posts.

well done.
and i know how to pull in cables thanks , nice of you to offer some tips though :-/

stop being a dick.
and you still missed the point of my earlier posts.

and didnt you say in an earlier post this week youre still in the 2nd year of the 2330 ?
well you certainly like to talk the talk for someone who isnt actually qualified yet.

Is this true sparks1973?

Oh deary me, must be the weekend lmao :)

I almost forgot the thread!!!

Loghts for each floor and smokes on there own circuit and kitchen ring and probably a 4 mm radial for each bedroom and as Dillb said spread the others over rcds

Actually, Sparks, Biff may have a point here. Obviously we don't know the layout or specs, but 4 floors full of GU10's and you've gobbled your way through a lot of cable and a lot of amps. Haven't got the books to hand, but the VD on 1.5TE can't be great.

Reply to 4 storey terraced house rewire in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock