Currently reading:
A reminder to everyone - FatallyFlawed - Child Plug Socket Covers Campaign

Discuss A reminder to everyone - FatallyFlawed - Child Plug Socket Covers Campaign in the Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

i have just taken my little boy for his 1st year check up. when i was in the building i saw hundreds of these in sockets. I didnt say anything as i was planning to after our appointment, but during she said make sure you have 'plug safety covers' i then butted in with actually it is a socket and these no place in any building. i gave her an explanation as to why but she just looked at me like i didnt know what i was saying, i even demonstrated to her! With that i left but i did manage to catch a chap in a suit with a clipboard listening to me, he asked me to email over the information and concerns with regards to actually taking them all out and in their 'parent packs' expressing the non use of them and if any doubt to seek somebody who knows. is there a letter or website i forward him on to get these out?

Thanks for the help!

Thanks for the support! Please draw his attention to the FatallyFlawed website at www.fatallyflawed.org.uk pointing out in particular the quote from Mark Coles which says "Socket-outlets to BS 1363 are the safest in the world and have been since they were first designed in the 1940s. Socket protectors are not regulated for safety, therefore, using a non-standard system to protect a long established safe system is not sensible.”

Make sure he understands that Mark is Technical Regulations Manager at the Institution of Engineering and Technology, he is the guy in charge of the wiring regs! (You could also draw attention to Mark's article - it is at
http://electrical.------.org/wiring-matters/44/wall-socket-protectors.cfm?type=pdf

Please also ask him to read the statement from MK on the FatallyFlawed homepage, as a reminder, that says:
“MK does not see the need for or support the use of so-called ‘socket-protectors’ in BS 1363-2 socket-outlets due to the fact that protection against access to the live and neutral socket contacts is always provided by the shutters.
At first sight, it ‘seems obvious’ to many that such devices will improve safety but in practice they do the opposite as shown by the numerous examples on the FatallyFlawed website.

‘Socket-protectors’ do not comply with any standard and in practice reduce safety via various means e.g. exposing the live and neutral socket contacts (the opposite of their purpose), providing an easy means of opening shutters by allowing operation of the earth operated shutter mechanism, damaging the socket contacts due to oversize pins and/or short pins.

If ‘socket protectors’ are to continue to be allowed on the UK (and other European markets) then, as a minimum, it is essential that they are designed and manufactured so that:-
• The pin dimensions (including length) align with the plug pin dimensions in BS 1363-1.
• The materials used are robust and not so soft that they allow the device to be misused by allowing it to operate shutters of an earth operated shutter mechanism.
• The device has a surface area which is large enough to completely cover the socket-outlet apertures so that the live socket contacts are not exposed.

MK goes to great lengths to ensure that all its BS 1363 plugs and sockets are safe. Inserting incorrectly dimensioned products into a socket-outlet can both damage the socket and reduce its safety.”

If we all continue to spread the word we will eventually win!

Is it as obvious as this campaign says? Sure, kids may remove a cover, but if there's no cover then junior's pencil goes straight in the earth and moves the guards. Shouldn't the campaign be for better guards, not none?

Is it as obvious as this campaign says? Sure, kids may remove a cover, but if there's no cover then junior's pencil goes straight in the earth and moves the guards. Shouldn't the campaign be for better guards, not none?
A child who is capable of holding an object in the earth pin aperture whilst poking another object into a live aperture is most definitely going to be able to remove a socket cover. The internal shutters are there to ensure that a small child is unable to contact live parts, and they are the best solution to this. The rest of the world is slowly moving towards the requirement for internal shutters, for instance, most US states now require "tamper resistant receptacles" to be fitted into domestic premises (although that is not retrospective). The difference is that the UK has required internal shutters for over 65 years, since BS 1363 was introduced. It is an interesting point that the only UK sockets which do not have shutters, old round pin sockets, are the ones that you cannot get socket covers for! Only those who seek to profit from unnecessary gadgets claim that socket covers are necessary.
Having said that, if there were a socket cover which did not damage sockets, and which did not increase the possibility of accessing live parts, then there would be no need to object to it. That is why Trevor Ord's petition calls for regulation, not banning.

A child who is capable of holding an object in the earth pin aperture whilst poking another object into a live aperture is most definitely going to be able to remove a socket cover. The internal shutters are there to ensure that a small child is unable to contact live parts, and they are the best solution to this. The rest of the world is slowly moving towards the requirement for internal shutters, for instance, most US states now require "tamper resistant receptacles" to be fitted into domestic premises (although that is not retrospective). The difference is that the UK has required internal shutters for over 65 years, since BS 1363 was introduced. It is an interesting point that the only UK sockets which do not have shutters, old round pin sockets, are the ones that you cannot get socket covers for! Only those who seek to profit from unnecessary gadgets claim that socket covers are necessary.
Having said that, if there were a socket cover which did not damage sockets, and which did not increase the possibility of accessing live parts, then there would be no need to object to it. That is why Trevor Ord's petition calls for regulation, not banning.

Until recently I had never given this much thought to be totally honest, but after reading this entire thread, looking around the fatallyflawed website and doing my own research, and experiments, I have to say that I have concluded that a ban is the way forward. I have tried to come up with a system to prevent use of a socket in a way that increases not decreases safety and cannot do it without the input of the manufacturers who would need to redesign the faceplates, and this would require a change to BS1363-2, and considering any changes of this nature will always have a cost/benefit equation put on them I cannot see this happening, thus as I said, the current crop simply need banning and then readdressing the issue with the BSi and the manufacturers cutting out third party manufacturers in the early stage until a practicable and workable solution can be devised.

The obvious route would be that a metal loop is mounted on the front of the socket face plate (obviously part of the earthing metalwork of the socket) and then a simple lock, like and MCB type lock that prevents access to the earth terminals whilst in place, it does not need to protect the L-N terminals as these are shuttered, all thats needed is a way to stop oiks shoving pencils, nails etc into the earth to open the shutter. This is hence my comments above, redesign by the manufacturers would be required and this would need to be signed of by BSi for compliance before going on sale. Only then could a device for the locking of the Earth perhaps be allowed to be manufactured and sold by a possible third party...but suck locking mechanisms should be universal and not manufacture specific.

At the end of the day BS 1363 is one of the best systems in the world for domestic power outlets.

My son is 28 years old, I was fighting against socket outlet covers from before his birth.
My biggest opponent, my wife!
I converted her eventually and it was funny when a “health visitor” called after the birth of our son and pulled her up for not having the outlet covers in place. He left rapidly!

We’ve years of indoctrination to dispel, it’s going to be a long road, one I’ll stay with.

Tony, my better half is not from the UK and when we had our daughter 4.5 years ago (seems like a lifetime) Gala bought a few of these, I did object simply because our sockets are shuttered...I demonstrated this to her, she understood and the covers she spent about £5 on went in the bin...Demonstration is king

The obvious route would be that a metal loop is mounted on the front of the socket face plate (obviously part of the earthing metalwork of the socket) and then a simple lock, like and MCB type lock that prevents access to the earth terminals whilst in place, it does not need to protect the L-N terminals as these are shuttered, all thats needed is a way to stop oiks shoving pencils, nails etc into the earth to open the shutter. This is hence my comments above, redesign by the manufacturers would be required and this would need to be signed of by BSi for compliance before going on sale. Only then could a device for the locking of the Earth perhaps be allowed to be manufactured and sold by a possible third party...but suck locking mechanisms should be universal and not manufacture specific.

Not suggesting that the above is in any way flawed, but is this not over-engineering the pie a bit? Why not just a childproof DP switch?

DP, earth pin locking sockets were available at the time BS1363 was introduced. They were put forward as an alternative. I still remember them in the 60’s in my aunt’s council house.

For the life of me I can’t remember the name of them. I’m too knackered to look now.

Wow didn’t realize you could do put them in upside down with the safety covers interesting thread. I will definitely advise other people of the potential hazards.

The key words are childproof, because every so called child proof device I have seen in 47 years has been defeated by way too many kids way too quickly, they would need to have lockable switches and that introduces other problems.

The key words are childproof, because every so called child proof device I have seen in 47 years has been defeated by way too many kids way too quickly, they would need to have lockable switches and that introduces other problems.

Ain't that the truth?! My two year old has already booked her slot to do 17th......

Ain't that the truth?! My two year old has already booked her slot to do 17th......

I know that one, my 4 year old can use the computer to navigate the internet if left alone and she is better that the other half and I when playing certain games on the tablets, and as for the 3 year old, so far he has started to dismantle just about everything in the house (I have to ensure no tools are about now) and has even managed to fire up my welder, which involved plugging it in and turning on an Isolator and an MCB that is remote to it...(It now has an MCB lock on it and a padlock on the isolator!)

At the end of the day BS 1363 is one of the best systems in the world for domestic power outlets.

My son is 28 years old, I was fighting against socket outlet covers from before his birth.
My biggest opponent, my wife!
I converted her eventually and it was funny when a “health visitor” called after the birth of our son and pulled her up for not having the outlet covers in place. He left rapidly!

We’ve years of indoctrination to dispel, it’s going to be a long road, one I’ll stay with.

This is a good reminder from Tony that he and others were spreading the word that socket covers are a bad thing long before we founded FatallyFlawed five years ago.

Recent posts indicate the complexity of trying to make an existing safe system even safer, and I do not believe that there is a need for that. The shutters required by BS 1363 do an excellent job of preventing small children poking objects into the live parts of a socket, but as others have indicated, making something truly childproof is probably not possible, as children become more skilled and learn to do two handed tasks the need is to educate them rather than place ever more difficult barriers in their path. Having said that, it is important to keep dangerous appliances beyond the reach of children.

Whether you believe that socket covers should be regulated (no existing ones would meet any sensible standard) or banned outright, the task remains to raise the awareness of legislators on this subject. It is an unfortunate fact that the minister responsible for consumer protection still thinks that, while socket covers are unnecessary, they are also harmless. The more messages the minister receives from MPs whose knowledgeable constituents tell them that this is not so, the better. Quoting Mark Coles (IET Technical Regulations Manager) is a helpful thing to do, Mark said in his article in "Wiring Matters" “Socket-outlets to BS 1363 are the safest in the world and have been since they were first designed in the 1940s. Socket protectors are not regulated for safety, therefore, using a non-standard system to protect a long established safe system is not sensible.” If you include your own experiences of having to deal with sockets damaged by socket covers, that is even better.

Please write to your MP, if you do not get a reply, chase them. If you get a reply that says there is not a problem, challenge them!

And she'll Pass too!! lol!!

Just make sure she doesn't pinch any of your tools, so that she can make a few bob pocket money, doing odd electrical jobs for the neighbours. After all, she will be deemed as a competent person!! lol!!

GoodNews! Just had a phone call from my local medical centre to thank me forpointing out the dangers of these things. They have removed them from thebuilding. They did say though that they would have preferred that theinformation was presented on an official website. I guess they werethinking about something like the HSE site or ESC sitese It's a little awkward that the ESC site states that they are arguably safer. Socket blanking plugs : Electrical Safety Council

Doing some maintenance in the local doctors' surgerys last week. The place was full of them, inserted by the cleaner, i was told. I explained the dangers to the practice manager. She was thankful and interested, saying she would look into 'fatally'. Calling with an invoice next week so I'll find out the result, very hopeful.

Just took my son to the dentist, every socket in the place had a socket cover pluged into it! The receptionest looked at me a little strange when i asked to borrow a pen and paper and wrote down the fatallyflawed web address, and asking her to pass it on to management. I do hope when I go back they have all been removed. Remember people every little helps.

Health care and social services have to be our targets, they can influence new mothers. Just as the retailers do, unfortunately they have a 30 year lead on us.

I just wish I had an easy answer.

As I’ve said before, there’s 30 years of intuitional brainwashing to clear away.

A BS 1363 socket doesn’t need additional protection. Why in gods name would you fit lockable covers to every socket in you’re house?
Who made a reference to a house installation Dr surgery places of public presence where risk maybe deemed higherGood idea to add the extra protection methods

No matter where it is a BS1363 socket is perfectly safe. It’s one of the best power outlets in the world.

Yes it can be defeated, but it takes a determined effort to do so. Nothing can be made idiot proof!

I have just emailed my little girls school because on a visit this evening I noticed they used socket covers. I explained to one of the teachers and their assistants the issues and that they should not use them, I demonstrated that you can insert them upside down and exposed the live terminal, but was not 100% convinced they would remember on the morning, so I dig out the email address and sent them an explanation and a link to the fatally flawed we page. I have offered to go and speak to them directly if they wish.

I also signed the petition because for some reason I had not done so!!

The summer edition of the IET's "Wiring Matters" is now on line and has an article about the related matter of counterfeit plugs and dodgy chargers, you can download the article here. The whole magazine can be downloaded here and includes a letter (on page 4) about socket covers from Peter Munro, Co-founder of FatallyFlawed. This is a follow on to my letter in the last issue (that can be found at www.shocked.org.uk ).

Just received a letter from our local council inviting us to collect a 'Home Safety Starter Pack' for free. Includes 8 socket covers! I have emailed about 200 people at the council so hopefully one of them will bother to take this seriously.

Reply to A reminder to everyone - FatallyFlawed - Child Plug Socket Covers Campaign in the Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back