Discuss Adding sockets to a radial circuit in different directions in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

My question was not about people misrepresenting themselves, but prosecution of homeowners who have undertaken works that should have been carried out by a registered electrician.
Aah! Never spotted the "homeowner" part. Must look in to that.

The prosecutions that I am aware of are...
1)representing yourself as registered when you are not
2) individuals carrying out work not in harmony with regs and deemed to be dangerous. (electricians and diyers)

In none of the above cases have I heard of injuries resulting to anyone. All cases though resulted in either fines or jail time for those carrying out the work.

If a home owner does a full rewire , without notifying building control, and then commissions a full EICR (not an EIC) from an electrician who is a scheme member, then there will be no repercussions.

If a home owner does a full rewire , without notifying building control, and then commissions a full EICR (not an EIC) from an electrician who is a scheme member, then there will be no repercussions.
Yes. Of course there will always be ways to circumvent regulations.However the "wriggleroom" currently is the tightest I have ever experienced. A registered spark who certifies an unregistered sparks work nowadays knows he faces certain disqualification from the registration body should he be caught.
A registered spark who certifies a diyers work is looking at serious penalties.
In the current environment, I cannot imagine a scenario where a homeowner would wire his own house and realistically expect it to be certified by a professional

Yes. Of course there will always be ways to circumvent regulations.However the "wriggleroom" currently is the tightest I have ever experienced. A registered spark who certifies an unregistered sparks work nowadays knows he faces certain disqualification from the registration body should he be caught.
A registered spark who certifies a diyers work is looking at serious penalties.
In the current environment, I cannot imagine a scenario where a homeowner would wire his own house and realistically expect it to be certified by a professional
Maybe not expect it to be certified at all, I know of at least 4 house sales in NI in this last few months of which 3 were completed with no regard to the state of the electrics, 1 at over £200000 and 2 x in the region of £350000 all 3 houses were over 30 years old. In ROI or mainland UK can/does a house be sold with no recent EICR, or is an EICR only provided when ask for by the buyer?

I am not sure, but as far as I know a satisfactory EICR is only needed for rented property. You can buy/sell without one, but often the buyers are now asking for it to be provided.

However, given the poor standards of many that appear on this forum from "drive by" inspections done by the agents cheapest choice, I'm not sure just how much they help. At least if the EICR turns out to be poor to the point of fraudulent you ought to have come-back at either the electrician and/or seller's expense, which is better than bought "as seen" I guess.

Maybe not expect it to be certified at all, I know of at least 4 house sales in NI in this last few months of which 3 were completed with no regard to the state of the electrics, 1 at over £200000 and 2 x in the region of £350000 all 3 houses were over 30 years old. In ROI or mainland UK can/does a house be sold with no recent EICR, or is an EICR only provided when ask for by the buyer?
You don't need one unless the buyer insists. What happens in reality though is this holds up the sale if the seller decides to make an issue of it and it's not worth the hassle for most people, and so it gets left.

Reply to Adding sockets to a radial circuit in different directions in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock