Discuss Advice wanted - unhappy with rewire in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all

Hoping I could get some independent advice on here. We've just bought our first property and had to get a full house rewire on the property (3 bed semi). Our electricians had finished the work within 2 days (2 electricians working on it). When asked when they were coming back, they said they didn't need to come back for a second fix as they'd finished it all. As we didn't know any better, we assumed all was fine and paid up because that said they wouldn't give paperwork till payment was made.

Since then, we have had a few issues. Our plasterer has been really surprised at the poor standard of work - they have had to plaster around all sockets and spotlights in kitchen.

1. The holes made to put in the sockets are generally quite a bit larger than the face of the external socket casing.
2. One of the sockets had a loose wire that was not connected when the plasterer was plastering around.
3. Another socket melted the builder's plug (smoke coming out as well), but didn't activate the trip switch.
4. An armoured cable they put in to light the garage is coming out of the consumer unit and through the floorboards in the bedroom in front of (rather than behind) the skirting board.
5. No paperwork 3 weeks after despite chasing him for this before everything else happened.

Would really appreciate any feedback as not sure if these are common or we really are within our rights to be taking this further? We tried contacting the electrician a couple of days ago, but he's not able to come till Monday evening, but his general response is telling me that he's blaming the plasterer's work.

Thanks!

Hi baddegg - good idea!

Advice wanted - unhappy with rewire 20190223_094844 - EletriciansForums.net
armoured cable in front of skirting board

Advice wanted - unhappy with rewire 20190223_114949 - EletriciansForums.net
wire disconnected

Advice wanted - unhappy with rewire 20190223_112101 - EletriciansForums.net
A couple of examples of cutting around sockets.
Advice wanted - unhappy with rewire 20190223_111938 - EletriciansForums.net

Advice wanted - unhappy with rewire 20190223_094717 - EletriciansForums.net
Melted plug socket

Thanks in advance for any advice!

As others have said not tidy but not as bad as it could be and in the sparks defence the loose wire could’ve been caused by anyone moving that socket front.....did you agree to him second fixing before the spreads had been in?

You said 'We tried contacting the electrician a couple of days ago, but he's not able to come till Monday evening'.
Yes I sent a detailed message with all the concerns and a couple others. He said the plasterer probably pulled out the wire while plastering and it's necessary to remove that much wall to get to sockets. He didn't respond to the other points, but like I said he's coming over Monday. I just want to know whether we should be arguing this on Monday or we're just clueless first time homebuyers! Is it normal to not do a second fix?

As others have said not tidy but not as bad as it could be and in the sparks defence the loose wire could’ve been caused by anyone moving that socket front.....did you agree to him second fixing before the spreads had been in?
No - he just told us it wasn't necessary... not knowing any different, we went along with it.

the holes might not be the tidiest but in fairness some walls when you chase them out crumble and lumps come out. the chasing doesn't look that bad to be fair from what I can see on the cable runs.
what was specified or agreed with how the armoured cable will be installed as from what i see the reason its in front the skirting board is because it comes out directly above from the consumer unit. even if behind it will still need to come out the wall a few inches below the bottom.

That wire that has come out could well be live !!

I dont do domestic, but when i did, it was traditional to do first fix before the plasterer and 2nd fix after, painting could be done before 2nd fix or after, i preferred after because i am a bit nervous about marking the paint when 2nd fixing, its so easy to do.
Others may well comment on whether this method of 1st and 2nd fix before plastering is progress in the industry

The second fix has been done. That is the connection of all the accessories, testing, and energising.

This should not have been done ahead of the plastering but that is down to what arrangements were in place between you and all trades.

You should have received an EIC and building control paperwork.... keep pestering them for this, all in written form, and if they ignore you it's time to get in touch with trading standards and/or the scheme that your electrician belongs to.

Reply to Advice wanted - unhappy with rewire in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock