Discuss Any decent lug crimpers for 10mm onwards? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I’ve got some lug crimping tool called iwiss off Amazon and when crimping a 10mm cable into a lug I had to use 10mm on one side and 6mm on the other side of the crimper. Not sure how well it will work when it gets to bigger cables 😕.

Are there any decent lug crimpers at a reasonable price?

I have a set of these for bigger sizes up to 50mm
They are ok but can be a pain in tight enclosures due to their size.

I also have the bigger set that do up to 150mm!

Also got a set of these that are better for tight spots!

Okay
I have a set of these for bigger sizes up to 50mm
They are ok but can be a pain in tight enclosures due to their size.

I also have the bigger set that do up to 150mm!

Also got a set of these that are better for tight spots!
Okay thanks for the link. I saw this on Amazon decent price. Has it done you well? Are the lugs accurate? (Not like my half 10mm half 6mm crimper)

Yes mine are the SWA brand ones from Edmondsons years ago probably at least 10! They have been great, just sometimes in tight places they can be a pain as the crimp head is quite large and the handles need to open a reasonable distance, once the lug is in the handles aren't so much of a problem.
There is very little ware in the dies and they still make a good solid connection, done hundreds of lugs over the years!

Yes mine are the SWA brand ones from Edmondsons years ago probably at least 10! They have been great, just sometimes in tight places they can be a pain as the crimp head is quite large and the handles need to open a reasonable distance, once the lug is in the handles aren't so much of a problem.
There is very little ware in the dies and they still make a good solid connection, done hundreds of lugs over the years!
Okay thanks mate, they seem about the same size as the ones I got.

I got one of these for the occasions I need to crimp lugs on larger cables:

It works quite well and handy to have the selection in the kit. However, you really need 3 or 4 hands, two to operate the handles and one or two to hold the crimp on the cable. The flare of the 'SWA brand' lugs helps a bit as you can partly close the tool and then push the held lug on to stiffer cable situations, but not ideal.

EDIT: I think this is the same basic tool as @SparkySy linked to.

I have a hydraulic crimper I bought off either ebay or amazon for £30, comes with set of dies all way upto 120mm.

Bought it as I had to crimp some chunky cables for some new boards in a warehouse. and it has paid for itself many times over...
like others have said you could do with a third hand... so i have been known to hold the cable in the vice or clamp on a pop up work bench, even held the crimpers in the conduit bender before, a little piece of insulation tape is always handy to hold the lug in place prior to crimping...

Amazon crimpers in that price range top out at 70mm2, these days. I see a few around £67 that come with dies from 8-300mm2, but never believed they'd last too long.
I dont use it much so cant really say anything on long term quality other than its done what it needed to the dozen or so jobs i have used it.
I look at what i paid for tools a few years back and in some cases they have doubled. Inflation is one thing then mad shipping costs from far east.. everything is going up

Amazon crimpers in that price range top out at 70mm2, these days. I see a few around £67 that come with dies from 8-300mm2, but never believed they'd last too long.
I got a generic hydraulic set from Amazon/Ebay/Can't remember for about £60-70 maybe 5 years ago and it takes dies up to 300mm although I rarely need to go beyond 150mm. Not seen daily use or anywhere near that but still good and solid now. But as others have said, you need to be a real clever dick to use them - four hands are definitely better than two.

Reply to Any decent lug crimpers for 10mm onwards? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net