Discuss Bathroom fans in zone 1 in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi everyone, new member here. I was an electrician some years ago but only qualified to 16th edition regs so very rusty. My question is can anyone point out to me where in the 18th edition regs it says you cannot install 230v extractor fans in zone one of a bathroom?

The reason I'm asking is I recently had an electrician in to do an electrical safety certificate as I'm selling my house. One of the faults he flagged up was a 230v fan in zone 1 with no RCD protection. I have since replaced this fan with a new one rated at IP34 and replaced the MCB with an RCD.

When I rang the electrician to come and do a re-test he said he still won't pass it as it's not 12v.

I've spoken to other electricians and had different answers as to whether the fan needs to be 12v or not, so I borrowed a copy of the 18th regs to look myself. The only thing I can find is reg 701.55 which states that as long as the fan is suitable for installation in zone 1 according to instructions then 230v is ok. Unfortunately the instructions that came with the fan don't mention any zones, just that the fan is IP34.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm just trying to get a definitive answer before I spend any more money on another fan.

Thanks

Reactions: DPG
He needs to read his regulations. Don't have mine to hand, but it will be in 701.5 ish IIRC.
This is what can go in zone 1 (wrt fans)
  • Other than switches and controls of extractor fans specifically designed for use in this zone, and cord operated switches, only SELV switches are permitted.
  • Extractor fans designed for use in this zone must be at least IPX4 , or IPX5, where water jets are likely to be used for cleaning purposes.
  • A 30 mA RCD must be provided to the electrical circuit.
So, your fan is fine, assuming it doesnt have a non-SELV switch, it won't have one.

The fan does have a pull cord switch if that makes any difference

You need to contact the manufacturer, regardless of IP rating very few manufacturers okay a 230v extractor for use in zone 1. They are available though.

The reason I'm asking is I recently had an electrician in to do an electrical safety certificate as I'm selling my house.

It is usual for the buyer to commission surveys etc not the seller. As a buyer I would not trust a sellers certificate, who knows he may have a mate providing certificates.

It is usual for the buyer to commission surveys etc not the seller. As a buyer I would not trust a sellers certificate, who knows he may have a mate providing certificates.
Thanks, that really helped a lot

IP34 is not suitable for this zone if water jets are likely. Basically is there a shower or do you clean the area with a hose.

Probably not a hose as it’s domestic, but I would enterpret a shower as a hose and it could potentially be used to hose down walls in shower enclosures or over baths etc...

I would be unhappy putting a 230v extractor in zone 1 With a shower present at all. But regs say you can put an IPX5

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks very much. Where is this from please? I've looked at the small print in the instructions now and don't think the fan is suitable for zone 1 so I'll have to get another one
It’s taken from the Niceic pocket guide updated to the 18th edition.
It’s on my phone so easier than going in the van for the regs book.

At IP34 it is highly unlikely to be suitable. If your fan doesn't require a run over this is one of the few zone 1 230v fans, strangely the timer fan is not. The instructions do not state it is zone 1 compliant but I confirmed it with the manufacturer.

Reply to Bathroom fans in zone 1 in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock