Discuss Bayonet/edison to schuko adapter in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

gfinetin

Dears,

In my basement there is only one bayonet electric out. I want to convert this to schuko, so that I could connect mobile charger/vacuum cleaner/lamp/etc to it. I'm searching Bayonet or Edison screw to schuko adapter. Tried google and ebay, but no matches found.

My questions:

1.Is it impossible from technical perspective or it just does not exist?
2.Maybe should I change the search term?
3.Do you have general idea how can I make a custom one?

Thanks in advance,
Bobi

It's not legal, for several reasons, to use a light fitting as a socket outlet. This is why there's no converter commercially available and I would strongly suggest you don't try and make your own if you value the safety of you and your family. There's also a good chance you'll end up in court if someone gets a shock from your handywork.

I would suggest you get hold of a respectable local electrician who can install you a socket outlet supplied by a proper circuit that would give all the safety protection it should have.

Thanks Marvo, probably I'll just cut both cables and connect them to a new socket outlet. Btw as I can see there is no third wire which is supposed to be ground i guess, so is this needed or the outlet could function without it?

Thanks Marvo, probably I'll just cut both cables and connect them to a new socket outlet.

I can only repeat my advice above; under no circumstances connect any kind of socket on to a lighting circuit.

If you don't want to have a socket circuit professionally installed then rather just run an extension lead into the basement and plug it in upstairs. Your chances of survival will be much higher if you compare the risk of tripping over the trailing cable against having a socket outlet with no earth (ground) protection which is also going to overload the light circuit.

Good advice from Marvo.

Get an electrician in, if only to give you a price for providing a safe socket supply. If you say where you are, someone on here may be local to you.
Failing that, use an extension lead from a normal socket.

Last edited:
Good advice from Marvo.

Get an electrician in, if only to give you a price for providing a safe socket supply. If you say where you are, someone on here may be local to you.
Failing that, use an extension lead from a normal socket.

I do live in the Netherlands. I am in rented apartment which is far away from the basement. This creates 2 problems:

1. I can not modify the basement.
2. Do not have so lengthy extension.

Anyhow I don't understand what is the difference between socket outlet circuit and lighting circuit. If anyone can shortly describe I'd be happy.

Regards,
Bobi

The cable used for a lighting circuit is generally a lot smaller than a cable used for a circuit containing sockets. Therefore if you plug a large load e.g. a 3 KW fire into the lighting circuit the best that will happen is that you blow the fuse/MCB. The worst that could happen is that the cable gets very hot and catchs fire.

You also have no earth/ground so your chances of getting an electric shock if any of the equipment used becomes faulty is very high.

So, if you are trying to electrocute your mrs and then burn all the evidence, carry on, you've got your self a winner
:29:

Last edited by a moderator:
If you haven't got the message yet ....''DON'T DO IT!!!''

Apart from the very pertinent fact you have no safety earth conductor, even the vacuum cleaner you want to use is going to be way over the 60W max stated on this fitting!! Most of the smaller vacuum cleaners being around 1400W or more!! Getting the picture yet??

If you rent a flat far away from this basement, ...why do you want to modify it?? ...lol!!

The cable used for a lighting circuit is generally a lot smaller than a cable used for a circuit containing sockets. Therefore if you plug a large load e.g. a 3 KW fire into the lighting circuit the best that will happen is that you blow the fuse/MCB. The worst that could happen is that the cable gets very hot and catchs fire.

You also have no earth/ground so your chances of getting an electric shock if any of the equipment used becomes faulty is very high.

So, if you are trying to electrocute your mrs and then burn all the evidence, carry on, you've got your self a winner
:29:

hahaha you giving me ideas

If you rent a flat far away from this basement, ...why do you want to modify it?? ...lol!!

to install a socket circuit

Reply to Bayonet/edison to schuko adapter in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net