Discuss By Pass valve in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

jc_150

-
Reaction score
Hi all in the forum,
I have a 6 radiator Y plan system with pump over run. There are 5 TRV's on the rads and the living room radiator is open at all times. I have now put Hive thermostatic rad valves on all the radiators with TRV's. It works ok, but there is an annoyance because if for example the bathroom radiator calls for heat, the boiler will only fire if the room where the thermostat is (the living room) is at a temperature lower than the boost temperature. This means by default the bathroom and the living room heat until the requirement is met. I was wondering if it is feasable to have fitted a bypass valve of some sort so that when pump over run is on there is somewhere for the water to circulate so that I can then have a TRV fitrted to the living room radiator to make the system totally automatic. Thanks for any replies in advance.
John

Hi all in the forum,
I have a 6 radiator Y plan system with pump over run. There are 5 TRV's on the rads and the living room radiator is open at all times. I have now put Hive thermostatic rad valves on all the radiators with TRV's. It works ok, but there is an annoyance because if for example the bathroom radiator calls for heat, the boiler will only fire if the room where the thermostat is (the living room) is at a temperature lower than the boost temperature. This means by default the bathroom and the living room heat until the requirement is met. I was wondering if it is feasable to have fitted a bypass valve of some sort so that when pump over run is on there is somewhere for the water to circulate so that I can then have a TRV fitrted to the living room radiator to make the system totally automatic. Thanks for any replies in advance.
John
This is an electrical forum you might get a better answer on a plumbing forum

Hi all in the forum,
John
As UNG said, you'll get a better answer asking a plumber, but commonly the overrun heat gets sent to something like a towel rail where it doesn't really matter how hot it gets.

As UNG said, you'll get a better answer asking a plumber, but commonly the overrun heat gets sent to something like a towel rail where it doesn't really matter how hot it gets.
Thanks for that idea, will modify my question to the plumbing forum. Hadn't thought about a towel rail, could be the easiest plumbing solution.
John

I believe any wet radiator system needs a bypass radiator (one without a TRV) as a safety feature.
Towel rail seems obvious but mine is in the hall.

Just as an extra,quite a few boiler manufacturers require a bypass valve to be fitted,regardless of inclusion of non-TRV rads. Vaillant was the last one i studied....type and adjustment was specific,and necessary for full warranty.

I would check the boiler on the OP's system,to see what bypass requirement is compatible,with full installation.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I have moved this post onto the plumber's forum, and had similar replies to on here. I have reached out to a local plumber to show me the best way forward and I have printed your replies to show the plumber. Waiting for a response. I would ideally like either a towel rail or a by pass valve so I can get automatic system working how I expected it to work.
John

I'm a sparky, but got so fed up with having to deal with plumbers getting in my way about forty years ago, that I expanded my business to include plumbing and central heating.
Never had to put up with a plumber since, except on one infamous occasion when I had two large electrical installations on the go at the same time, and subbed out the plumbing and heating.
Yes, you can, and should fit an adjustable bypass valve.

On a Y-plan the circuits are never shut off, so a bypass is not needed. Heating port closes by default, hot water port only closes when hw is off/satisfied and heating is calling.
Edit: missed the bit about trv's on all rads. In that case if all trv's shut down, ch is still calling (which it shouldn't if system is controlled properly) and hw is off then a bypass is needed.

Reply to By Pass valve in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net