Discuss Can someone sort this mystery RCD trip out? Please in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

forgot to mention in my post when you do a continuity test to fault find say the N earth fault the plug top type test lead you need to put the green and blue leads into the live and earth of the tester then change them back when you cary out the ir tests etc

Last edited by a moderator:
Ian thanks for your help, I'm certainly not the most experienced spark in the world and it's not something I thought of , but IR tests between Circuit Neutrals are not a requirment on any book, bs7671, guidance note 3, 2392 or 2391 or anything, I agree it's a test to do now but it's not a recognised pre com test
so we will have to agree to disagree !

Ian thanks for your help, I'm certainly not the most experienced spark in the world and it's not something I thought of , but IR tests between Circuit Neutrals are not a requirment on any book, bs7671, guidance note 3, 2392 or 2391 or anything, I agree it's a test to do now but it's not a recognised pre com test
so we will have to agree to disagree !

I was refering to the IR test between neutral and earth not between neutrals

Ah sorry Ian, all standard IR tests between circuit
conductors came back top banana, will test for borrowed neutrals on Sunday, cheers

What a prat!, this fault has taught me two things, never attempt a ridiculously long day, 7.00am-10pm rushing to complete and secondly try to find the obvious faults before the less obvious ones!

Fault was crushed neutral conductor against metal casing of light, N-E, pretty much what we said, I struggled fitting the light latecon Thursday night and obviously trapped it when rushing, I knew I'd struggled but didn't check it, first thing thus morning, clear head, IR tests on lighting circuit....fault found

thanks for the help

One your not a Pratt we all do it , over the years ive taught my self there is always the next day even more now i work for my self ,never rush as what time you save will be spent trying to sort out the faults generated ,thats what is the problem with big companies put the guys under pressure they make mistakes and in the long run it costs more .glad you found the fault :)

Reply to Can someone sort this mystery RCD trip out? Please in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net