Discuss Capacitor headache :-/ in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

rose-e-cheeks

Hello all,

I've got a 1956 Bernina sewing machine that, after DAYS of restoring/cleaning/oiling, decided to blow its motor capacitor. It was a wax capacitor and I'd like to replace it with a modern equivalent. All the local electrical services are baffled, one did find a 0.1uF filter capacitor but it was way too big as the capacitor needs to be small enough to fit in the motor housing at the back of the machine.

The capacitor has the following printed on it -

0.1uF + 2 x 2500pF
250V 0 degree bis + 80 degrees c
284644 A 59.7
to -1.58 mHz7

Any help on tracking down a modern equivalent would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Kat

Attachments

• 1412603832737.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 73
  • 1412603862471.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 1412603842781.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 68
That might be a 'two in one' type capacitor. How many wires were connected to it Kat? Can you show a photo of the connections on the end of the capacitor and the wiring that was connected to it please? Also was it the only capacitor connected to the motor or is there another one as well?

Thank you all for your help, I'm so glad to hear that I can find a new part for the job! Here's some more pictures of the machine motor and the connections.

Boydy -I've repaired some beauties in my time so a tear in a flare is no problem ;-)

xx

Attachments

• Photo0254.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 39
  • Photo0255.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 35
  • Photo0256.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 36
  • Photo0257.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 37
  • Photo0258.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 29
The original part is a 'delta capacitor' i.e. three capacitors in one, connected in a triangle. 0.1µF between the leads, and 2.5nF from each lead to the case which is electrically connected to the frame of the motor by the mounting screw. It isn't a motor start or run capacitor but a radio & TV interference suppressor, so the motor will work without it but might blot out all radio/TV/WiFi etc in the neighborhood.

Depending on the motor insulation in your particular machine, the delta cap might be a safety-critical part and any capacitors used to replace it would need to be of suitable type, normally 'X2' rated for the large cap between the leads (which sees mains voltage but not to an exposed conductive part) and 'Y' rated for the two small caps to the case (failure of which could make an exposed part live). However it should be possible to source a direct replacement delta cap as they are still used, which will normally have suitably X & Y rated caps inside.

The cap in the following link has the correct values and safety approvals but instead of a metal case a third lead is used to connect to the motor frame. You can probably find a better fit for your situation with a bit of searching of RS/CPC/Farnell etc.

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/paper-capacitors/1215449/

FWIW if you don't already know the date of the sewing machine, your existing delta cap is dated July 1959.

It’s a universal motor. As Lucian has said the capacitor is for RF suppression.

The motor should run OK without it but make sure you listen to Radio 1, you’ll not notice the high pitched whine.

To be honest I’m surprised a sewing machine has one fitted.

Thank you all so much!
If the machine can run without it how come it blew? It tripped my electric box when it went and made a pretty blue spark and a puff of smoke. I'll put a new fuse in the plug and give the old gal a go, failing that the link Lucien provided will be of much use. I'm a radio 2 listener so a high pitched whine won't be welcome :-D

Thanks once again,

Kat
---

Capacitors usually fail short-circuit, and because this one is across the mains it would have dissipated a large amount of energy prior to the MCB/RCD reacting. This is actually quite a common fault on old equipment, not just motors, and I have seen many good pieces of kit discarded or abandoned for no reason other than the fireworks of the suppressor going pop giving the false impression of a catastrophic failure.

You would need to make safe the ends of the leads before testing without the cap. Please fit the replacement - universal motors produce really annoying interference that could affect your neighbours as well as yourself. Do ensure the replacement is suitable for the purpose - it is not sufficient to fit non-safety-approved caps of the correct capacitance and voltage - and correctly installed w.r.t. isolation from the metalwork.

The original part is a 'delta capacitor' i.e. three capacitors in one, connected in a triangle. 0.1µF between the leads, and 2.5nF from each lead to the case which is electrically connected to the frame of the motor by the mounting screw. It isn't a motor start or run capacitor but a radio & TV interference suppressor, so the motor will work without it but might blot out all radio/TV/WiFi etc in the neighborhood.

Depending on the motor insulation in your particular machine, the delta cap might be a safety-critical part and any capacitors used to replace it would need to be of suitable type, normally 'X2' rated for the large cap between the leads (which sees mains voltage but not to an exposed conductive part) and 'Y' rated for the two small caps to the case (failure of which could make an exposed part live). However it should be possible to source a direct replacement delta cap as they are still used, which will normally have suitably X & Y rated caps inside.

The cap in the following link has the correct values and safety approvals but instead of a metal case a third lead is used to connect to the motor frame. You can probably find a better fit for your situation with a bit of searching of RS/CPC/Farnell etc.

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/paper-capacitors/1215449/

FWIW if you don't already know the date of the sewing machine, your existing delta cap is dated July 1959.

Definately wise advice there about class X and Y ratings of caps. A lot of people aren't aware of these and just match voltage and capacitance value. Daz

Hello again,
I'm happy to report that my lovely old gal is up and running again with no capacitor AND no interference with TV or radio
Thanks to everyone that helped me with this and I wish you all the best for the future.
Kat
---
P.S. I've just collected another vintage sewing machine that smokes from the motor after a few seconds use so I may be back lol!

must be an old motor. phony blair banned smoking in 2008.:ack2:

Hello again,
I'm happy to report that my lovely old gal is up and running again with no capacitor AND no interference with TV or radio
Thanks to everyone that helped me with this and I wish you all the best for the future.
Kat
---

P.S. I've just collected another vintage sewing machine that smokes from the motor after a few seconds use so I may be back lol!

Is it the correct voltage for the UK?

Boydy

AND no interference with TV or radio

Did you check with all nearby radio amateurs? Did you listen at both ends of long wave? Manufacturers did not spend ££ on fitting unnecessary parts! Admittedly there's less AM in use today and that is the worst affected.

As for the smoking motor, that's not good. Did you see where the smoke came from? Examine the commutator all the way round, identify any odd (burnt, discoloured, damaged) copper bars and post a picture. Many brush motor faults leave recognisable damage signatures on the comm. Are the brushes intact?

But a 2 second Google will solve that, now I've given it a name.

Lucien, have you ever sat and talked to a ham radio enthusiast when there’s no escape? I worked with one!

Rose, keep using the sewing machine as a service to the human race.

How do you know I'm not one? FWIW I am licenced to operate certain kinds of R/Ts but with a purpose in view, not just for kicks. Either way, clean reception is best!

Reply to Capacitor headache :-/ in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock