Search the forum,

Discuss Connecting SWA to regular flex. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been asked to fix a problem with a pond pump.

The existing setup consists of an outdoor water resistant outlet that the pond pump plugs into, but the socket and plug are in a concrete box embedded in the ground and covered by a slab to look like part of a rockery. When the drain hole provided gets blocked (and it will get blocked again) and it rains, the socket and plug are flooded.
There is no way to guaranteed the compartment will not flood again, so I believe the best way forward is to replace the current socket and plug with a permanent IP68 connection, but I can only find glands for SWA that are IP66, so what do I use to connect SWA to flex correctly in an environment that may flood?

Any advice will be very much appreciated,

Many Thanks

Paul :smile:

Is the pump something that is removed a lot ? ie do they unplug it for maintenance or put away for winter?

I can only really think of perhaps something like a 3M water proof sealing joint to make sure that it is completely water tight. It would of course mean every time you want to remove the pump cutting off the joint, which may not be something that is possible.

Personally I’d move the connection unit. If you make a permanent through connection it’s going to have to be sealed with some form of compound making it impossible to change the pump without cutting the cable if the pump fails.

seacrh for something called magic gel, or dielectric compund. it sticks like shi'te to a blanket, and can be removed to access connections. we use it in the water industry for sealing Flowmeters that are in pits.

Thank you all for the suggestions so far.

An, an IP56 option is not going to work as it is an IP56 setup that needs to be replaced due to the location flooding so the new setup needs to be watertight.

There was a hole drilled in the side of the concrete bos and the pump flex was passed through the hole and then attached to the plug, so they could not take the pump in over the winter without removing the plug.
You have a very good point about the sealed joint, the SWA is supplying a motor and that will need to be replaced at some point long before the SWA needs replacing, so the joint needs to be accessible not permanent.

I cannot easily move the socket outlet as the tail of the SWA is too short to reach out of the box and the box is not practically moveable.

Magic gel, or dielectric compound sounds interesting I will think on that.
++++++++++++++++++++++

Am I correct in thinking this will do the job?

Many Thanks

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
get a small utility box these are made out of abs and have 20 or 25mm entries pre formed they are alot more robust than an adaptable box especially if the adaptable boxes are cold so if you use a stuffing gland for the flex and t armoured into the utility box joint with lever wagos screw on the lid with the tool rated at IP66 if you need to make it more water proof what i have done in the past is fill with magic gel to IP68 but this make the box un re use able and difficult to change the pump

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually just use a resin joint to connect SWA to the pump flex on borehole or submersible pumps, it's cheap, reliable, quick and easy. Yes you have to cut the cable if the pump needs workshop attention and doesn't have a plug on the side of it but most submersible pumps are maintenance free so they're only removed every few years. Even then they can be removed for service without cutting the cable or joint. I also leave a couple of meters of spare cable at the resin joint in case it ever needs re-making.

Pratley underground boxes are also a good option and they do make glands for flex as well as SWA cable.

Last edited:
Is it not possible to dig beneath the socket and leave a gap for the water to run out of?

This was the original plan.

The installer had drilled a drain hole, but over time (years), the hole has become bunged up, and the socket flooded repeatedly and this was not noticed by the house owners. I think it is best to replace the socket and plug with a maintenance free watertight connection and now have the information to do that.

Thank you all.

Paul.
:smiley2:

Reply to Connecting SWA to regular flex. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock