Discuss New condensate pump driving me mad in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

overskilled

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
So
Dad's Old condensate pump went kaput (screeching like a banshee, float valve sticking and wouldn't shut off due to said sticky float valve but still pumping away), service company come out, swap condensate pump (Plumbcenter 667888), however at one point they lose power to programmer and thermostat (retreats to van to make rather panicked looking phone calls), he somehow gets working in end. Over weekend wake up to house like a meat locker, programmer dead, try usual - breaker, main switch for boiler, reset button, nada, call out service team, much head scratching, they finally click that condensate pump tank is full and has killed system to prevent a flood, drain pump and all dandy, happens again, we'll replace the pump they say
Does it again tonight, call out service company, who empty tank again and decree that condensate pipework must be blocked or kinked as thats why its not pumping (I don't believe that for a second as the previous pump apart from being noisy due to dying bearings worked without issue)
He empties pump and says they will come back later in the week and check all the pipework for blockages.
I get the feeling there is a bad or wrong connection somewhere in the mix. So I go over to my dad's, disconnect the pumps main power feed and stick a plug on, shove a length of hose on the outlet to rule out a blockage in the pipework and stick it out the window, turn socket on, pump fires into life and pumps away quite happily and quietly, yay sorted methinks....I put it back together, top up the condensate tank to test its all still working before I leave and the ruddy thing goes dead again (!!!!!!!!!!)
My gut tells me that the high level safety switch is wired wrongly somehow (or just a wonky piece of carp) and is causing the boiler to shut down instead of the pump firing up.....its doing my head in royally....
What I have is Brown live, Blue neutral, Green/Yellow Earth - Those supply the pump motor and when connected to a plug the pump works as expected, the other 2 connections are Black 1 N/C, Black 2 Common.
I know the pump works from having it on a plug, what I'm struggling to get my head around is why the safety switch is causing the entire central heating system to shut down instead of the pump firing up beforehand?
Any suggestions as to what I'm missing? As far as I can tell the 2 blacks are just switch legs....when the water in the tank hits a pre determined height it breaks the circuit and kills the power. Something obvious is staring me in the face I can feel it
Thanks...

TL;DR
Condensate pump won't pump, engages safety switch instead
The ones i have come across need a perm live. This alone will work satisfactory. The extra "high limit" contacts are for faults with the pump and stop the boiler / A/C unit from firing up and producing more condensate.

I would check that the pump is wired with a permanent live first

The ones i have come across need a perm live. This alone will work satisfactory. The extra "high limit" contacts are for faults with the pump and stop the boiler / A/C unit from firing up and producing more condensate.

I would check that the pump is wired with a permanent live first
Thanks
Yes its wired to the load side of an isolator to provide local isolation and isolator is permanently on, only other connections to the load terminals are the neutral to the boiler and the N/C contact to the high level switch (other leg of this is connected to the boiler live)
Ignoring the high level limit switch the pump works perfectly when connected to a plug, so I'm thinking about raising the possibility of just bypassing the high level switch (as the old one never had one anyway).
If I didn't know better I'd suspect the limit switch was set wrong at the factory or water is getting in once the way reaches a certain level...its weird as the pump doesn't even attempt to fire up, its like I'm missing something totally obvious thats staring me in the face and I'm just not making the link....

Reply to New condensate pump driving me mad in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock