Discuss Did i fry my alternator? in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have a 1986 diesel van. I (foolishly i now believe) upgraded to a 150amp alternator. Recently, i was driving and when I turned the van of, it wouldn’t start again. I realized that the positive battery cable had come disconnected so that the van was running off the alternator, for potentially an hour of mountain highway driving, and then extended idling.

In the days since, I have infinite electrical gremlins. My lights flicker, my windshield wipers are inconsistent and sluggish and all these things are intertwined. Adding a load somewhere worsens everything else. Turing on the headlights slows the wipers down.

This is the most interesting clue I would really like to understand. My fuel pressure gauge shows higher fuel pressure the more load I add to the system. If i tun on the headlights it goes up 3 psi. If i turn on a turn signal, i ticks up and down 1psi. This is an electrical fuel pressure gauge that (to my understanding) compares it’s ability to ground through the sender to a consistent ground at the gauge.

I feel like if I had a stronger theoretical understanding I would immediately know what was wrong. Maybe somebody can help me expand my understanding.

What diagnostics should I be running to evaluate this problem?

Reply to Did i fry my alternator? in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock