Discuss Discrimination and cascading in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Well, I'm a little bit confused :rolleyes:
I have two circuit breakers, upstream CB is NSX630F (36kA Icu at 380/415 VAC 50/60), while downstream is IC60N (10kA Icu 220...240 VAC 50/60). They are in total dicrimination, BUT - IC60N cannot operete in cascading mode with NSX630F. WTF? o_O

When you say "cannot operate in cascading mode" do you mean that when cascaded you fail to meet the main supply PFC break requirements that you expected from the NSX630F?

When you have two OCPD in cascade the break limit is based on which one has to actually interrupt the supply, and perversely when you have "total selectivity" that becomes the smaller one!

When you say "cannot operate in cascading mode" do you mean that when cascaded you fail to meet the main supply PFC break requirements that you expected from the NSX630F?

When you have two OCPD in cascade the break limit is based on which one has to actually interrupt the supply, and perversely when you have "total selectivity" that becomes the smaller one!
No idea, ECOStructure told me that.

Cascading requires some action by the upstream breaker to limit the current that the downstream one would have to break, whether it is a momentary contact separation or actual triggering. Therefore any current >Icu at the downstream breaker needs to trigger that action. A breaker pairing that is not valid for cascade protection could allow a fault to occur that does not trigger current limitation upstream but cannot be broken downstream.

If I have for example upstream CB from ABB, and downstream from Siemens, how to know are they compatible for cascade protection?
I expect you would have to ask them, as it depends very much on the trip characteristics (i.e. if the upstream breaker is going to current-limit the fault with the downstream one).

It is usually easier with upstream BS88 (or equivalent) fuses - most companies give to the cascading / selectivity figures for that arrangement.

Reply to Discrimination and cascading in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock