Discuss Garage consumer unit rcd trips out in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Just make sure you follow a safe isolation procedure. Can't recall, did you check for loose connections & replace both two way switches?

have checked for loose connections in light fittings and inside garage consumer unit .
have replaced the switch at the front of the garage as i could hear it arching when i use it to switch the lights off.
not changed the switch at the back of the garage as one side on each switch is wired to a different light . and is working ok with light pendants .
yes i will switch off the main breaker switch as well as the mcb to isolate rather than light circuit mcb on its own to be on the safe side .

if this test still causes the rcd to trip then it wont be the flourecents i think , but i get a electrician in then as can do no more . the only conclusion could be made if its does trip when i swap over the light fittings is the circuit could be wrong but i aint going any further and i will get some one in ......

If those luminaires causing the issue are on a two way switching, it would be a good idea to replace both switches, to eliminate that possibility.

If those luminaires causing the issue are on a two way switching, it would be a good idea to replace both switches, to eliminate that possibility.
You need to involve an Electrician to test the faulty circuit, replacing accessories willy nilly is not the way forward.

You need to involve an Electrician to test the faulty circuit, replacing accessories willy nilly is not the way forward.

I disagree. Checking for loose connections, checking switches would seem a simple check, before replacing luminaires as others have suggested. As long as the OP feels confident to do so.

I disagree. Checking for loose connections, checking switches would seem a simple check, before replacing luminaires as others have suggested. As long as the OP feels confident to do so.
If you feel happy with your suggestion, then run with it Middy, me I try not to offer advice to DIYers could be dangerouse.

If you feel happy with your suggestion, then run with it Middy, me I try not to offer advice to DIYers could be dangerouse.

Not sure why you are singling me out for this guidance; other members have advised the OP to replace the luminaires, check for loose connections or incorrectly installed mcb's. Why don't you give them such council?

Not sure why you are singling me out for this guidance; other members have advised the OP to replace the luminaires, check for loose connections or incorrectly installed mcb's. Why don't you give them such council?
Not singling you out Mate just answering your post.

Not singling you out Mate just answering your post.
Sorry for the abrupt response Middy I was only answering your post, there was not an intention of singling you out, as there was no need to, my quick reply was due to her indoors calling me for tea is ready, and it was Chilli and that is not to be missed

Sorry for the abrupt response Middy I was only answering your post, there was not an intention of singling you out, as there was no need to, my quick reply was due to her indoors calling me for tea is ready, and it was Chilli and that is not to be missed

Finding the fault rather than replacing everything until the RCD doesn't trip is a far better way forward. The fault could be a damaged cable so changing all switches and fittings could achieve nothing

Well swapped flourecent over to what i know are good units
Still the same result . Rcd trips whilst switching one of the units off.

This now narrows it down for and confirms the following :

The flourecents units work fine as taken them from a different circuit .
The switches are fine as i have fitted light pendants to the circuit that i know is at fault in replacement to the flourecent and they work fine from both ends of the garage.

The fault for me it carnt be a break in the wiring as the pendants worked fine.

As i said before its when you switch the flourecents on and off after about 4 times it trips the rcd out.

For me the issue is inside the garage consumer unit as it carnt be any where else as i have proven this by doing the above.

I think it has got to be some back serge in electric when i switch the flourecent off its got no where to go but to trip the rcd but its only on one light circuit the other light cicuits which i switch on the four other lights individualy doesnt trip the rcd.

Is it because its switched from both ends and the way the wiring has been done in the fuse box.
I can go no further with this as i think there will be little point in getting a larger rcd unit as that wont achieve any thing.

Unless this unit is reaching its upper limit off resistance with these flourecents and putting a bigger unit in will resolve the issue.

For me i think now i need to get some one in.

I was just checking altogether on one mcb i have 6 6 feet flourecents and 2 x 3 feet units on the side wall

I have on the outside of the garage to pir coach lamps and on the back of the garage a spot light but they are on a different mcb so doubt will cause the rcb to be at it maximum?

Thing is it goes off in the daytime so these light wont be switching on in any case.

Time out i think i give up . I get it tested now....

Last edited:
It is something to do with a two way switching circuit and these flourecents with this rcd. Carnt be any thing else.

Light pendants work on this two way circuit.
Two flourecent dont. Took flourecents from another part of ceiling of garage and made no difference. Still trips rcd

Can i just ask you guys this question.
When i got the garage consumer unit fitted and tested by the electrician could he have mis wired this circuit?

What i mean is could he have wired this circuit in to another part of the garage consumer unit by mistake such as the sockets circuit and this might be whats causing the rcd to trip out as its over loading on this one circuit? However i know he has tested the system and took readings as i still have the certificate.
Just a thought. ..

This is what happens when Kev the kitchen fitter rewires your garage:

Lime.jpg

For the record he's used 0.75mm flex for the socket circuit!

Reading only the opening post
The description of how its tripping,the very hasty conclusion that the operation of loading to one particular circuit was tallying with the tripping Rcd
Therefore it "must be" the offending (in this case fluorescent fitting) causing the problem

That is a wrong conclusion for you to make
It is not the way to identify a problem or problems, it certainly does not confirm any such thing as a cause ( which was claimed in the first post)
You are probably,not possibly,probably, being sidetracked to the real cause by incorrect assumptions

Reply to Garage consumer unit rcd trips out in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net