Search the forum,

Discuss GU10 Downlight problem in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi to all you faithful electricians, I'm currentley a plumbing student, reading about part 'P'
Anyway, have installed GU10 downlights in the kitchen x6 and I've wired them to the old existing flourescent tube connection which are colured brown blue and all wired in tandem including the earth.
Now followed the same connections throughout br(brown)(bl(blue)..switch the light on and blew the fuse in the consumer unit.
Would it be best to check for continuity first, and how???

Sounds like you've mistaken your switched line for a neutral.

You need to find your switch line, best way to do this is to ensure all power is off, put the light switch on, then get a continuity tester (with buzzer) accross the brown (live) and all blue cables (1 at a time) until it beeps, go to the light switch and switch it on and off, if you've found the switch line then the tester should beep when the switch is on and stop beeping when the switch is off.

If you're not sure what you're doing call an electrician.

Last edited:
That's great. I'll be at that the weekend, but there's two things!
The multimeter I have is a Draper, small one without the buzzer! ok and the other one I was to say was I still do have the lights in the kitchen, but only 2 of them are working!!
Think I've crossed a wire somewhere OR something of I've crimped the wire whilst screwing down cap thing.
My other question was! Does each and every downlight be individually earthed in tandem or just earthed at the point of existing connecting point to the first downlight???
Must say that the electricians forums Fab, and that I am quite surprised with the response in this forum... Brilliant!! Thanks

Sounds like you've mistaken your switched line for a neutral.

You need to find your switch line, best way to do this is to ensure all power is off, put the light switch on, then get a continuity tester (with buzzer) accross the brown (live) and all blue cables (1 at a time) until it beeps, go to the light switch and switch it on and off, if you've found the switch line then the tester should beep when the switch is on and stop beeping when the switch is off.

If you're not sure what you're doing call an electrician.
Your an absolute superstar, well never have done a continuity test, but should be interesting. Well as Ive explained I am on the plumbers forum too and student plumber, but thanks I'll keep you posted..many many thanks..

Does continuity test mean the bit where you touch both probes together and set the test meter to zero and select the highest setting X10 in my case(Draper37317)??
Is a continuity test the same as an ohms test or similar??

Last edited:
Also one thing to look for if it is a loop in loop out system then you may have 3 twin and earth cables at the Flourie light so here how it may look
for brown / blue T+E
2 blues wired into the neutral of the light fitting (or 1 blue if there is only 2 T+E)
3 browns joined together on a connector block seperate from the fitting (or 2 browns if there is only 2 T+E)
1 blue (yes) into the live of the light fitting
for red / black T+E
2 blacks wired into the neutral of the light fitting (or 1 black if there is only 2 T+E)
3 reds joined together on a connector block seperate from the fitting (or 2 reds if there is only 2 T+E)
1 black (yes) into the live of the light fitting

Really hate to keep you guys, and the help is so much appreciated here Plus learning a thing or 2 as well.
The place that I'm in has recently been fully refurbished about 3 yrs ago now, so new boiler which is a potterton promax 28HE plus,(as I'm a plumbing student and fitting external programmer at the mo and at plumbing forum too. Well all this reading I'm doing is making me enjoy the experieces of the part "P"
And really keeping fingers crossed I dont get too attached but must say, here at the electrical forum you guys here are the absolute NUTS, its been brilllllllll so far and I know I'm going to reeelee enjoy here.. Thanks agin and I'll keep you posted. Than(x)llol fingers crossed..

Yes! there is are three browns wires connected in strip up there somewhere(in loft), but hang on ok, no excuses ok its Friday night and not up to anything until themrow now, but I must ad you as a friend and happy for your response..
The wires in the system here are br(brown) and bl(blue) earth

Cheers mate. Spanner

Reply to GU10 Downlight problem in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock