Discuss Help Requested on LED Set-Up in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All! I’m a hobbyist, but fairly skilled. I recently wired up a high end theater in my home, various new circuits, light fixtures, switches, etc. All came out excellent. But one thing I was installing is either faulty, or simply beyond my skill level. I intended to install two 16” LED strips along portions of the side walls of the room at floor level. I have the driver, the controller, and the strips. I ran the aluminum tracks below the baseboards that I intend to put the strips in, but figured I would test the components prior to install. I ran the driver to the controller, then connected the strip to that. I plugged in the driver and nothing. I then downloaded the controller app, made sure the controller was on, and still nothing. I’m attaching a picture of what I’ve got. It’s a 5 pin 10mm ip67 set up. Driver is more than enough. I got the overkill one as I’m not sure if I’ll want to attach additional light strips. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Attachments

• 40B30EAA-6CD5-438F-8CC9-BED24786E9C6.jpeg
    878.1 KB · Views: 19
I may be missing something, but from a quick look at your photo, the wiring looks correct, and the parts are compatible.
Do you have a multimeter to check that there is an output from the controller, which varies with the app settings?
Are you sure the connection between the controller output and LED strip is made properly? As it's IP rated strip, is there spurious insulation or coating over the strip contacts that needs removing?

Guessing about swapping wires over is a sure fire way to damage things, do you have a reason to do this?

I wondered about that, and why the red wasn't in 'R'. Brilliant you are able to speak from experience!!
Yep is there a standard convention to these tape lights, probably not; depends on who/where the lights are manufactured. Instructions from China are often a minefield!

I may be missing something, but from a quick look at your photo, the wiring looks correct, and the parts are compatible.
Do you have a multimeter to check that there is an output from the controller, which varies with the app settings?
Are you sure the connection between the controller output and LED strip is made properly? As it's IP rated strip, is there spurious insulation or coating over the strip contacts that needs removing?
Thank you so much for the reply/help! I in fact lent my meter to a neighbor. We are away until next week, I will collect it then, and test both the controller and driver outputs! I also got sone mini lead alligator testers to try alternate wiring patterns, but to your point, I believe the wiring is correct. Also, I don’t want to damage the components due to incorrect wiring.

Do you mean from the driver into the controller, or at the other side of the controller where it splits into 5 pins?
The 5 cores.
do not swap the cables from driver to controller

Reply to Help Requested on LED Set-Up in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net