Discuss How the hell do i get started in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I've just completed two years at college doing Level 2 and 3 Electrical Installation, and throughout lockdown i thought getting some more qualifications might make me more appealing to employers, so i've grabbed myself an ECS card and completed BS7671 18th Ed. I've not really had any practical experience since i did Level 2, and i want to become fully qualified, but i dont know where to start because i look online and the only Electricians Mate/Improver Jobs out there are asking for at least 2 years experience or proof of at least 4 jobs done.

I dont know which path i should take, im not sure what im actually supposed to be looking for, just work with some Electrician or Company? How would that get me qualified? is there something i have to do? im just so confused because ive been told so many different things, would really appreciate some help :)

You'll be fine! If you're dedicated enough to think about this and ask your questions on Christmas Day, you'll be just fine ?

You need some more on site experience. Call round a few local companies and see if they can help you out. Many of us are pretty busy at the moment and could do with an extra pair of hands. Especially if they are keen, reliable and polite.

You need some more on site experience. Call round a few local companies and see if they can help you out. Many of us are pretty busy at the moment and could do with an extra pair of hands. Especially if they are keen, reliable and polite.
so if i do that, How could i prove to an employer that i've had experience?

Above all be honest about your practical experience. Larger contractors will expect some experience so a smaller outfit may suit better where you are likely to get more one to one training. The scope of works could be absolutely anything but good luck.

Alright sounds easy enough, what kind of work would you reckon it would be, just pulling out wires and that sorta stuff?
Initially you’ll get most of the ---- mate....once they realise they can rely on ya to turn up on time every time you’ll be seen as more of an asset and worth investing in, leave ya phone at home (not trying to be condescending there but I don’t know how old you are ?) and try and predict what they’ll need before they need it (it shows you are genuinely interested and paying attention) and you’ll be bloody invaluable ?

I would much rather hire a chap who says 'Hi, I'm Bob; show me what I can do to help' than one who waxes lyrical about his skills and experience. If you've got a brain and the right attitude, the amount of experience you might or might not have will soon be forgotten.

With a good team it will take a week to learn how to be useful, at which point you can stop worrying about pulling your weight and start concentrating on soaking up electrical working practices. I remember setting off up a ladder to wire a terminal box, getting five or six rungs up and realising I had left my cutters behind. As I hesitated something caught my eye; it was the new guy holding the cutters up for me to grab. Needless to say, he was soon running jobs.

Was this the new guy that caught your eye Lucien ?

Attachments

• Adjustable guy.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 3

Reply to How the hell do i get started in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net