Discuss Latest Acquisition and it's mint. in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

telectrix

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
H.W,Sullivan, type of Wheatstone Bridge . Son found it on faceache or some other anti-social gossip site. £15. Guess it's age to be about 80 -90 years. Lucien would have been able to give me some info., like what voltage battery etc, but any info appreciated.

Google tells me that the company was founder in 1897 , manufacturing telegraph machines.

Attachments

• thumbnail_20230709_183650.jpg
    446.3 KB · Views: 55
Looks like the meter has been "upgraded" on yours Tel,

V126 4.5v battery from the link below, unless your has been modded for 4 x "C" cell as pic below.

Decade box 3 x c cell.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like the meter has been "upgraded" on yours Tel,

V126 4.5v battery from the link below, unless your has been modded for 4 x "C" cell as pic below.

View attachment 109312
only problem is it's listed as "out of stock".

ordered a 4.5V flat bugger , like wtah you had in a bicycle front lamp in the 60's,if we ever bothered with lights back then.no lights on bike made it harder for the bizzies to find us.

Very nice!
As you probably gathered it can measure resistances very accurately. Usually as accurately if not more accurately than a modern MFT. It can also do Murray loop tests to predict where a fault is.

Basically if a cable is faulting to earth, you join the conductors at the far end and measure the resistance as usual.
Then you'd switch to "Murray Loop", and the negative battery terminal would presumably need connecting to a good earth.
You'd then measure again. From these two values, and the formula in the manual, the distance along the line that the fault is can be calculated.

A Megger BR4 manual (which I found online as I have one) would fill in some of the blanks about the concepts.

fitted a 4.5V battery. sadly, no matter what I do with dials and switches, there's no response from the galvanometer: stuck on 0. it's not locked as the zero adjust moves the needle. going to open the box and see if there's anything glaring,

fitted a 4.5V battery. sadly, no matter what I do with dials and switches, there's no response from the galvanometer: stuck on 0. it's not locked as the zero adjust moves the needle. going to open the box and see if there's anything glaring,

The most likely is that the galvanometer has become damaged.
As it's removable you could try testing it directly by cooking up something like this.

1689238861171.png

Make resistors P, Q, and R the same and S about half the value. It should move.
Or just stick an AA battery across it!

Last edited:
The most likely is that the galvanometer has become damaged.
As it's removable you could try testing it directly by cooking up something like this.

View attachment 109363

Make resistors P, Q, and R the same and S about half the value. It should move.
Or just stick an AA battery across it!
going to open it up tomorrow - see what's what. will gry above first option.

H.W,Sullivan, type of Wheatstone Bridge . Son found it on faceache or some other anti-social gossip site. £15. Guess it's age to be about 80 -90 years. Lucien would have been able to give me some info., like what voltage battery etc, but any info appreciated.

Google tells me that the company was founder in 1897 , manufacturing telegraph machines.

A bargain indeed if the below is anything to go by:

update.. opened it up and found this. galvo has deffo been updated as it has a PCB and on it there's a 8 legged microchip. there's 2 sets if leads coming off ending in 2 PP£ connectors, but no connection to the internals of the machine, and no apparent place for them to go. pointless fitting PP3/s as would just be a stand alone galvanometer . Any ideas???

Attachments

• galvo.jpg
    298 KB · Views: 22
further investigation finds that the 2 securing release pillars for the galvo are actually terminals, connected to both the galvo and the internal resistor banks. tomorrow will try and see if connecting 2 PP3s will get some life into it. if i read it right, maybe someone has modded it to use PP3s instead of the original battery, necessitating the removal of the meter to replace said batteries. weird.

further investigation finds that the 2 securing release pillars for the galvo are actually terminals, connected to both the galvo and the internal resistor banks. tomorrow will try and see if connecting 2 PP3s will get some life into it. if i read it right, maybe someone has modded it to use PP3s instead of the original battery, necessitating the removal of the meter to replace said batteries. weird.
What you are trying to reinstate is along these lines:

1689395644984.png

Hopefully that will set your bearings. (EDIT The middle button should say G and the bottom button should say B, sorry)

For testing purposes you could swap out the Galvanometer with a digital multimeter.

Here it is working....observe that with the DECADE set to 678 ohms, and a resistance of 678 ohms between X1 and X2 we get 0v in the middle:

1689396153061.png

For academic interest only, see this old thread of mine - it's exactly the same concept but yours is ready to roll, wheras a post office box needs a power source and a galvonometer/voltmeter connecting up.

Last edited:
RESULT.....Connected 2 x PP3 batteries to the galvo and got deflection. then added the 4.5V battery in the original position in the cabinet lid. a (nominal) 10K resistor then connected to X! and X2. Dials operated to give an almost Zero reading on the galvo, ( 1 division from absolute 0 ) and the setting showed 9.6K. Will try several different resistor values later. I have an organiser full of them, from 0.1 ohms to 10 Megohms.
The PP3s must be a requirement of the updated galvo.

The original picture looks similar to the PO ohmmeter 18a 'megger'. That used a 9v battery.
I know what you mean. The 18A is a beautiful machine. British Racing Green....
Very similar in function, it has an additional ingenious trick to help engineers find a broken (as opposed to shorted) cable location. You join broken to good at far end, plug headphones in, find a quiet spot and run some maths.

1689842197720.png

The 'upgrade' (still sold today) isn't quite as aesthetically pleasing....

1689842346691.png

Any collector of electrical junk should keep an eye on "GPO Tester" results on ebay. There's even a brand new complete 18C for £50 at the moment. (but my wife said "No" and I have enough bridge-based testers!)

I know what you mean. The 18A is a beautiful machine. British Racing Green....
Very similar in function, it has an additional ingenious trick to help engineers find a broken (as opposed to shorted) cable location. You join broken to good at far end, plug headphones in, find a quiet spot and run some maths.

View attachment 109477

The 'upgrade' (still sold today) isn't quite as aesthetically pleasing....

View attachment 109478

Any collector of electrical junk should keep an eye on "GPO Tester" results on ebay. There's even a brand new complete 18C for £50 at the moment. (but my wife said "No" and I have enough bridge-based testers!)

That green one is very nice. Is it a military spec one?

Reply to Latest Acquisition and it's mint. in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock