Discuss Latest Acquisition and it's mint. in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Bit premature with previous post saying result. readings are widely inaccurate e.g. a 6.8k resistor measures at 4.9k. a 3.3. k reads as 2.9k. could it be that the machine is reconfigured for 6V. the galvo has 2 x PP3s to operate the electronics.

Bit premature with previous post saying result. readings are widely inaccurate e.g. a 6.8k resistor measures at 4.9k. a 3.3. k reads as 2.9k. could it be that the machine is reconfigured for 6V. the galvo has 2 x PP3s to operate the electronics.

Things to try:

-What does it measure with a dead short of low resistance between X1 and X2?
-try the resistors with an MFT to see if they are on the edge of their tolerance bands (gold 10%, silver 5%, none 20%).
-a normal multimeter on DC volts in place of the (originally) removable galvo.

The machine voltage actually doesn't matter, it's all about the calibrating the galvo so it reads zero when the bridge is balanced.

it does read 0, but the values on the dials are way out compared to multimeter, both digital and AVO8. will try the dead short as suggested then investigate further.

connected a very short piece of flex , measured on a low ohms meter at 0.020 ohms. Bridge says 0.8. across the terminals. Time to have a poke around inside I think..

connected a very short piece of flex , measured on a low ohms meter at 0.020 ohms. Bridge says 0.8. across the terminals. Time to have a poke around inside I think..
The non-original part is the galvanometer. When the Galv says 0, stick a multimeter on volts across here and see if THAT says zero.
It looks like it can be adjusted.
The point of these devices is that the galv doesn't need to be super accurate, it just needs to be able to be zero'd and it feels as though that is the issue here. Does that black knob in the middle calibrate it?

1689927858290.png

will try that today. the black knob does not appear to do anything but I'll have another look at it. also noticed that the 2 toggle switches are up and down instead of left and right, not that it makes any difference to the operation, but it's a bit confusing.

did some trials this morning using a 680 ohm resistor. on the multiplier dial, the x10 and the x100 give sensible readings but other ranges are wildly out. time to check internal connections and maybe a clean up of the dial contacts.

As this thread seems to be turning into an appreciation society of Wheatstone Bridge testers, I thought I'd post this here...
I was caught red handed looking at the listing and I've been expressly told I can't buy this by the boss.

But if it stays at this price - someone really should!

As this thread seems to be turning into an appreciation society of Wheatstone Bridge testers, I thought I'd post this here...
I was caught red handed looking at the listing and I've been expressly told I can't buy this by the boss.

But if it stays at this price - someone really should!

Seen that already. I remember the dodgy photos and carpet :)

Reply to Latest Acquisition and it's mint. in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock