Discuss Light circuit off at consumer board - but RCD / RCCB still tripped in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi

I'm removing an extractor fan from our WC, as it's just a toilet and sink and we never use hot water in there anyway...

The extractor is on the light circuit, but has it's own pull cord. I double checked by turning the fan and light on, then switching off the MCB. All good. I triple checked with a multi meter and all was 0. So after disconnecting I started checking for continuity so I knew which cable to pull on. Once sussed, I started wiggling it and pulling, at which point the RCD/RCCB tripped. I'm not great with all the consumer unit parts and what they're called, but it's a split unit and the left side tripped - which the same side as where I'd already turned off the MCB.

Think it'll probably be wise to get an electrician in to see what's what. Most the house lights are on a separate circuit so there's no rush.

But I'm really curious in the meantime....

- Is it possible to trip the RCD/RCCB by doing something on a circuit, even when the MCB for that circuit is off?

- If not, must I assume that something from another circuit is going on in the ceiling void?

Hope I'm making sense! Happy to add a couple of photos if it would help.

Cheers

That's all great to hear and along the lines(ish) of what I hoped was the case. But didn't want to risk it without being certain.

In terms of being certain, is it safe to replicate what happened (MCB off, touch earth and neutral and see if it trips again)? Or is there any potential risk?

As for finishing the job, I thought it would be as simple as:

• removing the cable that connects the pull cord to the fan itself
  • and then removing the cable that connects the pull cord to the ceiling rose.

But please do correct me if I'm wrong and if I could cause problems, open cans of worms, etc. I'm confident with the practical side of doing it, but like to make doubly sure on the theory.

Thanks a million for the help

Linking N and E with the MCB off should be safe but it's not a very helpful test to do, because whether it will actually cause a trip depends on what is happening elsewhere in the system and might not always behave the same way. An L-E short always causes a trip becase there is 230V there to drive current through the fault. But N and E are approximately at the same potential; if they happen to be at the same potential at a given moment there is nothing to drive current through the fault and trip the RCD.

The small N-E potential that usually exists will depend on the load elsewhere causing voltage drop in the neutral conductors. With a TN-C-S supply, N and E are solidly linked at the head and the only thing to create VD with the lighting circuit off is the load of other circuits on the meter tails and the resistance of the main switch. With a TN-S supply there can be VD due to other installations on the supply mains, plus your own load on the service cable. So you could have a situation where you join N & E and nothing trips until your neighbour turns on their cooker or shower, or pulls a trigger on a big power tool that causes an spike on the N voltage due to the inrush.

In a nutshell, I am not surprised that handling the cables wth just the MCB off caused a trip, and would not bother to investigate further.

That's a great and very helpful response @Lucien Nunes - and very much appreciated. Excellent timing too. No doubt as you were typing, I was in the WC with head torch on, touching neutrals to earths and wondering why it wasn't tripping. Meanwhile unbeknown to me you were explaining it.

Great stuff, many thanks.

As for finishing the job, I thought it would be as simple as:

• removing the cable that connects the pull cord to the fan itself
  • and then removing the cable that connects the pull cord to the ceiling rose.
If you are confident the ceiling rose feeds the pull cord and confident you have identified the correct cable, then I'd just turn off the MCB again, confirm dead again, and remove the ceiling rose connection first.
There is then also less chance that you'll trip the RCD when dismantling the pull cord or removing the fan cable.

Quick update to say I'm all done with the extractor fan removal and replaced the worn ceiling rose while I was at it. Appreciate all the help that got me there :) Have a great weekend everyone

Congratulations on the successful removal of your extractor fan !

So now may not be the best time to mention the building regulations that require a fan if there is no opening window ?

Hahaha! Two opening windows I'm pleased to report. Out of interest though, is that even the case for a small WC/cloakroom?
all depends on the strength of your farts from lastnight's vindaloo.

Reply to Light circuit off at consumer board - but RCD / RCCB still tripped in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock