Discuss Manufacturer recommends 32amp breaker for 2kw appliance? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I can relate to the confusion relating to manufacturers instructions.

We took delivery of a new fan oven last week (Smeg). It's under 3000W. Curry's insist that it must be connected to an FCU. Upon unpacking, theres a flex attached without a plug, but also a label on the flex instructing the installer to fit a plug fused at 13A!

The thing is, in our setup, if someone did that along with our new hob, they'd overload the 2 ganger thats there at the moment.

I'm going FCU route anyway, as I reckon it would be hard to argue a correctly fitted FCU is somehow inferior to a plug?

Many manufacturers do not rewrite the instruction for the UK market. For example AEG make an integrated fridge that consumes about 1/3 amp. They say it must have a 16A supply. That is totally inappropriate for British ring final circuits. So it must be ignored.

It comes with a 13A plug with a 13A fuse inside for an appliance drawing around 1/3 amp. The cable looks heavy enough to take 16A. The cable looks like it is to be protected by only a 16A MCB at the CU on a radial circuit with a non-fused Euro plug. It look like the 13A fuse does not protect the appliance.

A 3A or 6A fuse will protect this fridge adequately. It does not have to be on 16A supply or a hefty cable in the UK. I assume that it cannot be fitted on a 20A radial as the cable is not man enough to take 20A.

Induction hobs are always large draw. The 1200 and 2000 refer to each ring so 2x 1200 and 2 x 2000 which brings us up to 6.4. kw = 28a = 10 + 6 =16a. I would check it is actually CE marked.

Many manufacturers do not rewrite the instruction for the UK market. For example AEG make an integrated fridge that consumes about 1/3 amp. They say it must have a 16A supply. That is totally inappropriate for British ring final circuits. So it must be ignored.

It comes with a 13A plug with a 13A fuse inside for an appliance drawing around 1/3 amp. The cable looks heavy enough to take 16A. The cable looks like it is to be protected by only a 16A MCB at the CU on a radial circuit with a non-fused Euro plug. It look like the 13A fuse does not protect the appliance.

A 3A or 6A fuse will protect this fridge adequately. It does not have to be on 16A supply or a hefty cable in the UK. I assume that it cannot be fitted on a 20A radial as the cable is not man enough to take 20A.
The reason for the larger fuse is the starting surge current.
The fuse is to protect the cable.

Last edited:
I'm going FCU route anyway, as I reckon it would be hard to argue a correctly fitted FCU is somehow inferior to a plug?
FCU is better than a plug for sure. But when on for sustained periods the 13A fuse, or connections, can overheat. A small box with a 13A MCB (or 16A - yes you can have a 16A MCB off a ring) and 20A DP switch off the ring would be better for sure. They could be in an adjacent cupboard.

An extreme example.

1668624730888.png

MCB can be in a box like this. About £3-4
1668625763266.png

Last edited:

Reply to Manufacturer recommends 32amp breaker for 2kw appliance? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net