Discuss Napit complaint unresolved in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OP why are you pursuing the complaint against Mr Pratt?

I understand the customer is elderly, could a family member not act on his/her behalf. Looking at Napits complaint procedure (thing all the schemes will be similar), the complaint must be work carried out under contract between the complainant & Napit member, and the member must be given suitable time & opportunity to rectify the work.

Has the complaint been registered in writing or email with Napit? I never feel a telephone call, is a suitable vehicle to use to raise such an issue. Email etc, receives a much more considered and audited response.

Apparently, they have an on-line form that can be completed.

Edit: Here it be :);

member complaint form - https://www.napit.org.uk/home-owner/complaint.aspx

You may wish to read the notes at the bottom of the form.
I like no 4 do not undertake any remedial work, all well and good but what if it's dangerous? as Tel said and I Chickened out of saying , Parasites I'm a member of such and such but don't come running to us if the work is sub standard, or sub par as the Americans would say.

Understand your thoughts Pete, and having just paid my annual fee of £510 this morning, I somewhat agree.

However, think we should be a bit more restrained. It seems they have a policy, the OP's customer just needs to follow it.

If he/she has, then we can castigate Napit. IMO

Understand your thoughts Pete, and having just paid my annual fee of £510 this morning, I somewhat agree.

However, think we should be a bit more restrained. It seems they have a policy, the OP's customer just needs to follow it.

If he/she has, then we can castigate Napit. IMO
Good points

OP why are you pursuing the complaint against Mr Pratt?

I understand the customer is elderly, could a family member not act on his/her behalf. Looking at Napits complaint procedure (thing all the schemes will be similar), the complaint must be work carried out under contract between the complainant & Napit member, and the member must be given suitable time & opportunity to rectify the work.

Has the complaint been registered in writing or email with Napit? I never feel a telephone call, is a suitable vehicle to use to raise such an issue. Email etc, receives a much more considered and audited response.

Apparently, they have an on-line form that can be completed.

Edit: Here it be :);

member complaint form - https://www.napit.org.uk/home-owner/complaint.aspx
Thanks for that. I'll pass it on. The customers daughter is dealing with it but I said I'd help out with the technical stuff as she knows nothing about electrics.

Also I've walked away from tens if not hundreds of jobs like this over the years with little more than a note in the comments box and a bit of advice to the customer on my way out. This lady was very nice while I was there and she deserved better from a guy she paid £600 to.

She made an official complaint to napit in the first place and was given a complaint number by them and told the guy would be given a chance to come back and put it right. He's now been back and responded as I said in the original post.

Hence my call to napit this morning who told me it wasn't serious and they had closed the case as the guy has been back and issued a cert.

I understand as some of the lads have mentioned that napit won't want to lose his membership fees but I can't believe it doesn't bother them that he left it in this condition in the first place, let alone that he hasn't put it right yet.

The customers daughter will be contacting napit again later in the week in writing to pursue this further

Thanks for that. I'll pass it on. The customers daughter is dealing with it but I said I'd help out with the technical stuff as she knows nothing about electrics.

Also I've walked away from tens if not hundreds of jobs like this over the years with little more than a note in the comments box and a bit of advice to the customer on my way out. This lady was very nice while I was there and she deserved better from a guy she paid £600 to.

She made an official complaint to napit in the first place and was given a complaint number by them and told the guy would be given a chance to come back and put it right. He's now been back and responded as I said in the original post.

Hence my call to napit this morning who told me it wasn't serious and they had closed the case as the guy has been back and issued a cert.

I understand as some of the lads have mentioned that napit won't want to lose his membership fees but I can't believe it doesn't bother them that he left it in this condition in the first place, let alone that he hasn't put it right yet.

The customers daughter will be contacting napit again later in the week in writing to pursue this further
All they are interested in is the annual fee imo, they operate as a business, what does that tell you?

I would do so if it was my parents as well. Someone mentioned trading standards, and my favourite is to complain to your local MP, in writing!

Without trawling back, there was that note by Napit, to say if the complaint has been correct, the complaint is filed. If the complaint was just no certificate, and the electrician has supplied one, perhaps the complaint should be escalated to include the other deviations & non compliance. EICR would be useful for the complainant.

I said on a thread sometime last year that if NAPIT rejected all those that didn't come up to scratch they would have hardly any members, I am not tarring all with the same brush as I know some on the forum belong with NAPIT. These were not my words they came from a NAPIT employee.
None of these bodies want to hear complaints, twice in the last five years, one very recently where I have contacted another of these bodies to no effect.

I gave the lady a list of problems to use in her first complaint. Didn't go into huge detail. Just the obvious like loads of holes in cu, no cert, no testing, no busbar cover fitted no bonding. They are well aware of how the job was originally left.

Trading standards need to be informed - they may not act this time but when they get a few complaints then tend to get more interested...

I am currently dealing with napit on behalf of a customer.

She had a new cu installed several months ago by a napit registered electrician. She was charged £600. When I arrived to carry out some minor works we found several problems. The new cu was full of holes. Not labelled up. Bus bar cover sat on top. No cert left. No bonding to water.

She told me the guy plugged his tester into 1 socket in the lounge at the end of the job and said her electrics were fine. He didn't go anywhere else in the house. Took him about an hour to do. We called napit and had him sent back. He has now issued a cert for the work but left all test results boxes blank. He has also marked water bond as being done in 10 mm. He has not bonded the water pipe.

I called him and he says he can't bond the water as the stop tap is leaking slightly and he can't do any other tests than the rcd test because he knows it will fail.

I have spoken to napit again this morning and asked them to send someone to check the work after explaining what he has done.They told me it would have to be a much more serious complaint before they do anything. I am at a bit of a loss as to what to do next.

View attachment 36113

Hi, below are some of the requirements the scheme provider needs to meet,which clearly are not being met. Firstly get the name and contact details of a senior manager at Napit, then using the second link send in an email explaining your situation and any evidence.

It may be worth emailing the senior manager a copy of the conditions of authorisation and your intent to contact the DCLG in regards to Napits failings, it might make them to act.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...2860/CPS_Conditions_final__April_2016.pdfhttp:

forms.communities.gov.uk

One Trade one certification body will sort this fiasco out, far to many fingers in the pie for it to be viable

It being a cu change its notifiable so a call to local building control might be worth a shout
They can tell you date of completion

One Trade one certification body will sort this fiasco out, far to many fingers in the pie for it to be viable
Problem is the one certification body can do what they like if there is no competition to them, if you don't like the scheme where else would you join?
However I'm unclear as how for instances gas safe works for regulating gas installers so I suppose if that system does work I'd be all for it.

Reply to Napit complaint unresolved in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net