Discuss Newey & Eyre Milwaukee deals in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

gaz05

-
Reaction score
Hi there, I've seen a deal in my local Newey & Eyre for a Milwaukee 18v 3.0 Ah impact driver and also drill, with two batteries. Was told round about £270 plus VAT. Does any one use these tools and what are they like? Noticed there is a 3 year warranty on them.

These would be the first power tools I buy so don't have any other brands of batteries to use already. I've not long started working and have so far being doing domestic work, but if the opportunity came up would also do commercial/industrial.

This is the kit

Buy Milwaukee 18V PowerPack HD18 PD/C18 ID, M18, Cordless, 18V DC, c/w 2 x 3Ah Battery Packs - HD18 PP2A

Thanks guys!

I use the milwaukee V28 range and would highly recommend them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was talking to an alarm guy not too long ago who had a 28v cordless which he said was amazing and a 18v which he said wouldn't drill through melted cheese. Also would you have much use for an impact driver?? Do you fix a lot of large screws? If you are mainly fixing back boxes etc, generally you will use red plugs (5.5/6mm) with 4.0 or 5.0 screws (8 or 10) which most smaller drivers will do with ease.

I recently sold a Bosch combi and Impact driver combo as I never really used either. The impact driver was too much for what I use and the combi struggled with red brick even with new Bosch bits.

I now use a cordless SDS which is far better for drilling fixing holes in most materials, and a drill/driver for screwing/holesawing etc.

I used to use one of these : Bosch GBH 18V-Li Cordless Rotary Hammer (2x3A)in L-Boxx on eBay (end time 23-Jan-11 19:46:11 GMT) and it is a monster. The one on ebay is from a authorized Bosch dealer (with whom I have no affiliation) and a 'E' stock machine. I spoke to them recently and they say they are usually overstocked machines Bosch will not allow to be sold as new. It comes with 2 3.0ah Lithium batteries and you can get a really good 18v combi/driver (which will use the same batteries) for around £90 naked.

Take a look here at how fast a SDS drills concrete :

YouTube - Bosch GBH 18 V-Li

And now look at 7 and 33 seconds how much slower a Combi drills in soft wall:

YouTube - M18

Hope this helps

Arggghhhh no! So far have been mainly doing back boxes and the like yes. An sds either corded or cordless is definitely something I'll be buying in the near future, just thought I'd go for the cordless drill first and happened to notice this deal earlier and thought it seemed pretty reasonable.
They are doing a deal on the 28v range but it is £600 I think that is including a cordless sds and drill but is more money than I have to spend at the moment. Anyone have an 18v Milwaukee drill are they as bad as the alarm guy made out to eskimo39?
Thank you for the replies so far!

I have some AEG gear which is essentially the same just a different colour and it is pretty much bomb proof.

I wouldn't use the combi for drilling masonary, more for the odd hole in a joist and lots of holesawing etc. I use an impact driver all the time for screwdriving, fixing containment.....trunking, conduit, SWA cleats etc.

The advantage of the Bosch 18v SDS is that it is only slightly heavier than a 18v combi but packs far more punch. Honestly mate, I have spent hundreds (if not thousands) on drills over the last 18 months trying to find the best combination. I currently use a Hilti 22v SDS and 22v Driver and own a 36v cordless and 110v SDS Combi hammer which live in the van for the very occasional time I need to drill a large hole or do some chasing. I only sold the Bosch SDS as I was changing all my tools to Hilti, I couldn't fault it one little bit up to 12mm.

I don't know if there is anywhere where you can test tools but I think if you tried a combi against a sds you the choice would be obvious. I think most people used to use combi's as sds drills were usually heavy (28v,36v) now you can buy cordless 14.4 Makita sds drills which BT give their engineers and Panasonic also do a very powerful (but awful looking) 14.4 sds.

Hi there, I've seen a deal in my local Newey & Eyre for a Milwaukee 18v 3.0 Ah impact driver and also drill, with two batteries. Was told round about £270 plus VAT. Does any one use these tools and what are they like? Noticed there is a 3 year warranty on them.

These would be the first power tools I buy so don't have any other brands of batteries to use already. I've not long started working and have so far being doing domestic work, but if the opportunity came up would also do commercial/industrial.

This is the kit

Buy Milwaukee 18V PowerPack HD18 PD/C18 ID, M18, Cordless, 18V DC, c/w 2 x 3Ah Battery Packs - HD18 PP2A

Thanks guys!

seems a bit pricey to me gaz, they are only 3ah batterys as well, I get my gear from ITS worth a look

So a decent cordless sds and driver could be a better option than combi and driver at the moment? Yeah I know there a few wholesalers that have promotion days where you can test out the tools, not sure when the next one would be though. eskimo39 I've used both sds and combi for drilling before and know what you mean about the sds being better. Do you use your driver for drilling joists etc? Gaz quality name and thanks for the link will have a look on there now, what rated Ah batteries would you go for?

Appreciate the input, cheers guys!

So a decent cordless sds and driver could be a better option than combi and driver at the moment? Yeah I know there a few wholesalers that have promotion days where you can test out the tools, not sure when the next one would be though. eskimo39 I've used both sds and combi for drilling before and know what you mean about the sds being better. Do you use your driver for drilling joists etc? Gaz quality name and thanks for the link will have a look on there now, what rated Ah batteries would you go for?

Appreciate the input, cheers guys!

As high as you can go with Ah rating

Yes mate. I had the 18v bosch driver and use the Irwin power bits for drilling joists with no problems. I have several sizes upto 28mm but usually use 20mm. They are a bit pricey but last forever. You can get them here : Irwin 10507718 Blue Groove Power Bit 28mm

I think 3.0ah lithium batteries are a good rating. They used to last me ages and being lithium you can easily top up the charge with no memory effect. I have actually downsized to 2.6ah now with the Hilti driver and they still last for ages and charge fully in around 30 minutes.
I would also say to avoid NiCad and NIMH as they are slowly becoming out dated. Lithium seems to be the future technology and most big brand charges allow a full charge in around 30 minutes or a 75% charge in around 15 minutes for emergencies. I still see old chippies on site trying to run down their NiCad/NIMH batteries before charging them again by taping their switch on the drill and leaving it stood somewhere spinning. You don't need to do that with Li-Ion.

Ok , I've used one of those drill bits before not sure if it was an irwin one but was ace for going through joists! I'll have a look round and see what's on offer regarding an sds and driver then. Thanks for the help!

Reply to Newey & Eyre Milwaukee deals in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock