Discuss Next door neighbour mains spurred, pre-meter off my main fuse! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

VINCENZE

DIY
Reaction score
Semi-detached next door house mains supplied from my property pre-meter off main fuse.

I cannot get a smart meter as main fuse cannot be pulled by non DNO electrician.

This arrangement has been confirmed as not a revenue dodge (ie running feed to garden shed, extension etc). We confirmed the mains spur runs to my next door neighbour's house. This was not entirely uncommon practice for houses built in the early 1930s.

How would I go about getting my next door neighbour's supply routed directly to their house?

Any advice would be gratefully received. I assume I have to get the network provider (in my case NationalGrid) to do something. Fat chance I imagine.

It's the DNO's issue to solve

Cheers everyone. Spoke to UKPower. Helpful. Will talk to their Connections Team (0800 029 4280 if anyone else has this relatively rare issue). Apparently, should be a free of charge fix. The loop supply looks like it is original 1930s 100-200amp wiring with old material wound round the insulation.

Apparently, there can be a charge if the engineering is "complicated" or has any "issues". Surely it is a simple semi-detached loop arrangement across the underfloor through the boundary wall.

UK Power would detach the loop at both ends, dig a trench, lay mains (before unhooking loop) to the neighbour's and run the mains feed in. I absolutely do not want to be charged for any of the work. No way!

I wouldn’t loose sleep over it, a smart meter has little advantage to yourself, more for the electricity supplier.

just wait until the supplier wants to fit a new meter, if it is on there request instead of yours, I doubt they will be able to charge you for it.

I wouldn’t loose sleep over it, a smart meter has little advantage to yourself, more for the electricity supplier.

just wait until the supplier wants to fit a new meter, if it is on there request instead of yours, I doubt they will be able to charge you for it.
Sensible advice. Thanks

Although shared supply is not practised anymore, I have changed many meters in this situation, as long as the neighbour has been informed and agrees to the outage and is present because the supply will need to be switched off in their property too, the meter exchange can go ahead.

Looking at the picture this is how I see it.
The cutout is shared by yourself and neighbour, but you both have your own fuse, the reason your meter fitter refused to exchange the meter is because the neutral cover is on the neighbours side of the fuse and needs to be pulled to get cover off to check connections/tightness or even replace the out going tails.

Reply to Next door neighbour mains spurred, pre-meter off my main fuse! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net