Discuss NICEIC,NAPIT or something like that in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Barry Cade

Hi folks
I am a qualified sparky with 42yrs experience recently I retired and took redundancy for health reasons from a large national building maintenance company where I did electrical maintenance and installations,the company was NICEIC registered,I have bought myself a small van and intend to do small electrical/plumbing jobs,I have 17th regs, 2391 testing and approved electricians certificate,I would like to get NIC or something like that registered but I'm told it could be £500 a year and I don't know if I will do enough work to warrant the cost.Replacing consumer units will probably be my biggest job,(of course repairing all the hobby sparks faults I find when doing such jobs),installing odd sockets,lighting here and there,a bit of testing (I test all of my work now,and use Fluke testing forms)don't think I will be doing any rewires(I have a friend I can pass them to).
The reason for this thread is I have the opportunity do do elect repair work for a housing association and they require public liability(not a problem ) and an NIC card,this is where I come unstuck,does anyone know of an electrical body that would register me for the small time work I will be doing that doesn't cost a fortune.

Hi folks
I am a qualified sparky with 42yrs experience recently I retired and took redundancy for health reasons from a large national building maintenance company where I did electrical maintenance and installations,the company was NICEIC registered,I have bought myself a small van and intend to do small electrical/plumbing jobs,I have 17th regs, 2391 testing and approved electricians certificate,I would like to get NIC or something like that registered but I'm told it could be £500 a year and I don't know if I will do enough work to warrant the cost.Replacing consumer units will probably be my biggest job,(of course repairing all the hobby sparks faults I find when doing such jobs),installing odd sockets,lighting here and there,a bit of testing (I test all of my work now,and use Fluke testing forms)don't think I will be doing any rewires(I have a friend I can pass them to).
The reason for this thread is I have the opportunity do do elect repair work for a housing association and they require public liability(not a problem ) and an NIC card,this is where I come unstuck,does anyone know of an electrical body that would register me for the small time work I will be doing that doesn't cost a fortune.

NAPIT mate, im sure they do a scheme just for that. I think it allows you to do a total of 8 notifiable jobs a year.

If thats the case think I will be looking into NAPIT heard that was for retired or semi retired tutors and the like which didnt make sense to me at the time

there is also stroma not as known as the rest but half the price at about 250

If you're looking at HA work, you might just want to check that when they say NIC they actually MEAN NIC/NIC AC before you pay money to any of the others. The great unwashed out there are largely ignorant of all the other schemes and will only recognise NICEIC approved contractor status.

Are you looking at doing this HA work directly to the HA or via Third party on a sub contract basis? Usually when subbing then you need not have the Nic/Napit etc registration. However when direct they will need you to have some registration (usually NIC as stated by Rockingit) to cover the part p and all that.
Some further information required to know where you stand.

There is plenty of sub contract work available in this sort of work. When my regular work slows I go and do this work. As with any work you have a couple of methods to get it. Either contact the HA and ask who they use as main electrical contractor then contact them, or which seems more common, the contractor will advertise the vacancies via an agency which means less money initially but once you've done some work for them via an agency they will ask/ you can ask if sub contract direct to the main contractor is an option.

Hi folks
i thought housing associations/councils had been told to cut it out with NIC only mentality...
whats an `NIC card` anyway?...as if its a rite of passage or summat....

Reply to NICEIC,NAPIT or something like that in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net