Discuss old style wireable CU in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Barsteward! I'm going to have to have a go at Biff.
May as well resign now.
Trouble is for me buddy, is the fact I cannot spend time playing the game, yes I could play tonight and probably play for an hour, but it could be Tuesday before I could move again, hence the 3 day game you get bored with and to be fair rightly so. I have a complicated Life, a lot of Bullsh&t, and to add, time away from reality for periods of long time, this is why I canny play any quicker and often lose interest LOL. I Blame Builders and architects for all my troubles and my lack of skill playing chess haha

This is referring back to the opening post
all socket circuits initially ran from 5 amp fuses, they found problems when they started using more modern electric heaters etc years back. thankfully has the savvy to remember to use appropriate fuse wire rather than just fitting 5 amp like the carrier suggests.

Please explain/expand on what you mean by that statement

Back to the OP - do you have a photo of the board/head? Could be interesting viewing and if you try and do an EICR ......... it could be a very short one!

This is referring back to the opening post
all socket circuits initially ran from 5 amp fuses, they found problems when they started using more modern electric heaters etc years back. thankfully has the savvy to remember to use appropriate fuse wire rather than just fitting 5 amp like the carrier suggests.

Please explain/expand on what you mean by that statement

Good point - I never read that one properly. Is he saying 'someone savvy' changed the 5A fuse wire for 15A fuse wire because it kept blowing ???? The mind boggles !! Daz

I'd also like to Know what it was wired in ? could be the lead sheathed stuff, :)
i bet though if you zappt that lead sheathed cable....you would find it was good for continued service...

VIR can in some cases still be OK...for another few years....

depends on how hard a life it has had....and the installation methods etc...

i bet though if you zappt that lead sheathed cable....you would find it was good for continued service...

VIR can in some cases still be OK...for another few years....

depends on how hard a life it has had....and the installation methods etc...

I have seen the stuff fall apart in your hands.

it wouldnt take much to damage a swa and u dont know by who (kids stabbing or trying to cut it). its what i prefer to do u can follow the regs and no more if you want.
Where the B-jesus do you live with kids stabbing SWA. Why aren't they glue sniffing and setting fire to buildings?!

As mention earlier the installation will probably be OK until you start taking it apart to have a look, I can see it now just taking a socket off to have a look and the rubber falling off leaving bare copper cable!!! then the option will be to turn off the supply to make it safe

As mention earlier the installation will probably be OK until you start taking it apart to have a look, I can see it now just taking a socket off to have a look and the rubber falling off leaving bare copper cable!!! then the option will be to turn off the supply to make it safe

Or sleeve it, only joking it's normally the lighting circuits with these old cables that take a hammering.

oh would it now?

i think not....

see as it would have been as a result of your investigations that the insulation `fell apart`...then you would have a duty of care to make a repair....even if only temporary....

as you also have a duty of care to leave the occupants with adequate power for lighting and outlets....

Reply to old style wireable CU in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net