Search the forum,

Discuss Please Help Christmas mony at stake MATV System for a block of 40 flats in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

biscuits

Hey guys, I have a major problem. I have just run in 40 submains and re powered the communal's in a pre-existing block of flats. The company I'm doing the work for will not pay me until the communal TV system is up and running. That's got nothing to with me. Sadly, they thinks it does. They are claiming that I agreed to fit and install the TV at the same time as the duct work for each flat. They asked me to quote for it. I didn't. They presumed it was in the quote, though written in invisible ink, cause it certainly wasn't.

They owe me thousands. And, I do mean the wrong side of 7k

I have to fit an MATV system. The one block of 40 units is divided into 2 blocks of 20 units, in Southampton. There is two Lucy boards with two landlords supplies available.

Recommended type of Aerial? Boosters?

This is my plan - install two MATV systems for each 20 units. I know that I need to bring the signals to all the units (using satellite cable for this - not shotgun, only digital TV required). My plan is to install two high quality Digital TV Aerials on the roof. Run two cables from it to two 12 way Boosters. This would apply for both sides of the 20 units. All of the cables going to the units as well a from the aerial will be earthed due to the potential earth leakage from each unit. I also need to buy a reasonably priced TV signal meter.

I have to be honest here guys. This is my Christmas money for the family at stake here. My wife does not know. This company is becoming very difficult. I will be paid the final instalment. There's been no money problems before

Any advice is gladly received, I can't afford to have two Christmases in a row with my kids masking their dejection

Please, No screaming preachers about legal action, or get a professional in, I have tried, once they hear the above they are walking away, and won't even advise me

It should be noted that the client has agreed that I locate the new TV outlet in each unit adjacent to the new power supply, this is for the new owners to take it from there.

I dont get where you are coming from,if there was no written specification with TV included,and it is not in the quote from you that they accepted...then why are you doing it?
Cant help thinking you are not telling the entire story here.

I can see the outcome of this being you installed the submains and then the T.V and get paid NOTHING.

Be very wary of whoever you are dealing with, they can't make you install something you haven't even quoted for.

Hey guys, I have a major problem. I have just run in 40 submains and re powered the communal's in a pre-existing block of flats. The company I'm doing the work for will not pay me until the communal TV system is up and running. That's got nothing to with me. Sadly, they thinks it does. They are claiming that I agreed to fit and install the TV at the same time as the duct work for each flat. They asked me to quote for it. I didn't. They presumed it was in the quote, though written in invisible ink, cause it certainly wasn't.

They owe me thousands. And, I do mean the wrong side of 7k

I have to fit an MATV system. The one block of 40 units is divided into 2 blocks of 20 units, in Southampton. There is two Lucy boards with two landlords supplies available.

Recommended type of Aerial? Boosters?

This is my plan - install two MATV systems for each 20 units. I know that I need to bring the signals to all the units (using satellite cable for this - not shotgun, only digital TV required). My plan is to install two high quality Digital TV Aerials on the roof. Run two cables from it to two 12 way Boosters. This would apply for both sides of the 20 units. All of the cables going to the units as well a from the aerial will be earthed due to the potential earth leakage from each unit. I also need to buy a reasonably priced TV signal meter.

I have to be honest here guys. This is my Christmas money for the family at stake here. My wife does not know. This company is becoming very difficult. I will be paid the final instalment. There's been no money problems before

Any advice is gladly received, I can't afford to have two Christmases in a row with my kids masking their dejection

Please, No screaming preachers about legal action, or get a professional in, I have tried, once they hear the above they are walking away, and won't even advise me

It should be noted that the client has agreed that I locate the new TV outlet in each unit adjacent to the new power supply, this is for the new owners to take it from there.

Obviously you are not being entirely truthful,if there was no contract to do the work then you will be well aware that you cannot lose legal proceedings so you would have got legal representative at no expense spared,as the company you are suing would be made to pay the bill.
Why are you even considering being ripped off like this? The small claims court would have this sorted out within 28 days..so that would be in time to avoid a 2nd Christmas eating toast while watching the queens speech :)

Obviously you are not being entirely truthful,if there was no contract to do the work then you will be well aware that you cannot lose legal proceedings so you would have got legal representative at no expense spared,as the company you are suing would be made to pay the bill.
Why are you even considering being ripped off like this? The small claims court would have this sorted out within 28 days..so that would be in time to avoid a 2nd Christmas eating toast while watching the queens speech :)

Payment within 28 days of the result of the claim. Might take 6 months to get a date for the hearing, maybe longer, and laying out a good few quid when you book it. Seen it......done it, and well worth going down the route.....he'll eat a good christmas dinner in 2015

The way I see this is it all comes down to the wording both parties have used. If they have asked you to quote for all items on (let's call it) list A and you have not itemised exactly what you're quoted for then you're up poo creek without a paddle.
In your situation I'd talk to whoever is responsible at the other end (calmly of course) and explain the situation as you see it, you can then tell this person that the additional work (keep calling it this) is £x and you want written confirmation of their acceptance of the quote.
If they agree then everything is hunky dory again and you can then ask them for a payment on account of this £7k+
I wouldn't bother with talking to any of the monkeys though mate, go straight to the organ grinder.

I would Go with Trevor's advice on this one.
Also in this day and age of everybody wanting every thing for nothing and everybody trying to wriggle out of their responsibilities it is paramount that you produce a precise and accurate quotation for all work to be carried out and that anything not on the quote will be additional and this must be agreed by all parties involved.
An additional thought and not meant to kick you while you're down but maybe ask for some advice when submitting future quotes, because to be going through this for a 2nd Christmas running means either yo are extremely unlucky or you are doing something wrong.

Reply to Please Help Christmas mony at stake MATV System for a block of 40 flats in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock