Discuss private pensions and filling out your tax return? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I have just started paying into a private pension. I pay in £500 p/month, the government tops it up by £125, which relates to the tax.

Every year I fill out my tax return. I am self employed and am a sole trader, so the tax return is fairly straight forward. However, I always put 'zero' where it asks for amount paid into a pension, as I have never paid into a private pension before.

My question is, do I now enter the amount I have paid into the private pension? My concern is that i will then not pay tax on this amount, in other words I benefit twice which is wrong. However, surely the tax office knows it is paying out t he £125?

What do you guys do who fill out there own returns and pay into a private pension?

Bit confused, thanks in advance.

i'll program the question into my MFT. should come out with a figure to3 dec. places. ?, seriously thogh, you neeed advice fro a finacial/pension advisor wearing a suit, not a grotty spark in dewalt work trousers.

There's absolutely no way you'll get double the tax relief.

It's not a trick question, it's asking how much have you paid, not how much have you paid less any tax relief.
The answer is the total for the relevant year, at £500 p.m, that has left your bank account.

I'd agree with Snowhead. You enter the figure that you pay, and they know how to deal with it. It's in the private pension field so it's not like they will mix it up with anything else.

If you read (carefully) the notes relating to that section of the return, it will tell you when and when not to include pension payments.

You can always check the calculation is correct before submitting and you can see how the maths works out. Worry not
That's a really good idea, thanks.

Thanks to all the other replies too. A bit of a silly question really, its just new to me and I like to get things right first time.

As an add on.
I posted this same thread on a financial forum. The 2 replies that I have had, have both said that I enter the amount including the part the government has paid, i.e £625. So I am still unsure!??

You don't pay tax at the point of putting money into your pension pot. It accumulates as non-tax paid savings, in the scheme you use.
You pay tax when you come to withdraw it - in fact the tax is deducted by the scheme manager, and you get the balance. The final amount of tax you pay will depend on your allowances in the year of withdrawal.
I guess the exact details depend on the scheme you use. Is there any advice from them?

Last edited:

Reply to private pensions and filling out your tax return? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock