Currently reading:
Proximity to overhead lines?

Discuss Proximity to overhead lines? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Next time you're in the UK have a trip to Mansfield. Go in on the Sutton road. Look to you're right and........... You and I know there's never fixed rules. On LV, is neutral always at the top? Some locations have special requirements / dispensation due to environmental conditions that rule that situation out. Sorry for the long paragraph, new laptop and "Enter" won't give a line break on this forum.

Dispensations i can accept, as you say these things always crop up. But generally MV overhead sub-distribution lines will be run in a horizontal order!! As for overhead LV, the neutral is generally at the bottom, rather than at the top. Especially in the case when street lighting is taken directly from the overhead lines, via an extra timed phase lighting line, and using the common neutral!!

Question, ....Do they still allow MV and LV overhead lines to be run on the same wooden poles?? I did hear they were phasing this out, and that no new installations of this type were being installed.

There were a few places in the Peak District where MV & LV shared the same pole. Don't know if they're still there. The mention of another set of poles would have the Peak Park Planning Board throwing a hissy fit. I wanted an 11KV OH line put in. Gave up and installed a DG set, it was easier.

We had to hide the DG set in an old water mill. Anything you wanted to do you had the PPPB on you're back. Painting you're windows could land you in court. And did!

There were a few places in the Peak District where MV & LV shared the same pole. Don't know if they're still there. The mention of another set of poles would have the Peak Park Planning Board throwing a hissy fit. I wanted an 11KV OH line put in. Gave up and installed a DG set, it was easier.

Quite common to see this in Cyprus, (more so in the rural areas) and a good few other countries too. It can get a bit congested where pole transformers come in to play, especially when there is also an under ground MV SWA cable coming up the pole to feed another overhead string some distance away!! lol!!

Reply to Proximity to overhead lines? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock